? for Sheetrockers and Painters

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
I am in the process of finishing up my garage. The sheetrock was taped together and some kind of white paste over the tape. I was told to spackle the tape, then sand it. THREE TIMES!! No way!!! How will one coat look? or two? It is a garage, but I don't want it to look like crap.
I am planning on putting 2 coats of primer on it and then painting it a very light grey (again probably 2 coats of paint). Probably will sand it between the primer and the paint. Thanks!!

It's all in the prep...

All that paint, can't hide a bed tape joint. The joint compound sands pretty easy. Spend the time and do it right the first time.

:cool:

Here's what ya do, get a big trowel (like a 1 foot or 18 incher) and a mud tray, and a small bucket of mud. Apply it, smooth it out and let er cure. Afterwards you get a pole sander (it's a sand paper holder mounted on a broom handle essentially) and use that. Our drywall guy did 3 rooms totalling near 1500-2000 square foot in 1.5 hours a time if that. He's right that all the paint in the world won't hide a crappy joint. Another option is texturing the walls with a texture gun. That's how a lot of contractors get away with half assing it, or rather IMO half assing mudding/sanding joints.

yeah, get a big trowel and a mud tray and a big bucket of mud, not spackle. and get a how-to tape on drywall finishing. :) it really don't take too much time.

OR, go to a local construction site and find some tapers and offer them cash to do it real quick. you might want to bring your english-spanish translator book with. :D

If you look at the edge of the drywall you'll notice it's tapered. After you bed the tape in keep putting on thin coats till you've got it smooth. Don't worry about the lines in the mud, you can knock those off after it dries. If you put it on too thick it'll crack. Don't worry about how the first couple coats look.just get it as smooth as you can, knock off the high spots after its dry{the next day}Then put it on really thin to fill your low spots and imperfections.Sanding drywall sucks so feather your edges :D

You guys talking about real mud? Like with earthworms in it:eek: I have the first coat on and have to finish sanding. I was planning on doing another coat. But 3 is really time consuming.
My friend had a good idea to paint a trial spot with the primer and see if I could see the lines.

Thanks for the replies!

usually after your first coat of mud you just barly have to sand it, all you do is knock off the high spots. the second coat you sand a little more but not a lot. after the final coat you can rent a power sander fron "Nations Rent" for drywall BUT do not sand to much, if you do the paper on the board will turn fuzzy like a cat. like every one else says, it's in the prep. do you want your garage where you park your beutiful Buick to look like crap, I don't think so. also like others have said go to a housing develop[ement & get you some mexicans to do it for some beer $.

where about in upstate NY are you? I have some friends up there around Glens Falls that may beable to hook you up.

I think you should pay someone to do it right . You can make such a mess and you can spend a lot of time an aggravation tryin to save a few bucks :rolleyes:

I just finished my garage and people told me to do the same thing (sanding multiple times etc.).

Instead I used a textured paint on the walls. It hides any imperfections of the seems, needs no prep work and covers in one coat. The garage looks great, no cracks, and I finished it in a weekend (with 2 other people helping).

What you are doing is not that complicated, it just takes elbow grease ;)

Light sanding is all you want....Only sand the joints where the mud is, stay away from the bare paper. The sanding will go more quickly than you expect. :)

This is an instance when an expert can do your garage in 30 minutes, and it will take you 6 hours....Two coats by an expert will look good enough in your garage.

OK- I punked out and am paying someone in my Church who is an expert.

I really thank you guys for the advice. I painted a trial spot and it looked like crap. ALL of your replies were right.

There is NO WAY I am going to park my Buick in a substandard garage:D

Yes, it looks like everyone had told me:eek: I do appreciate your offer of your friend's help. I don't know where Glens Falls is. I am in the Middletown/Chester area.