For Sale: (1) Bare Standard Bore 4.1 Block

RealestVIN7

Third Member
I have (1) bare standard bore 4.1 block for sale. I will ship at the buyer's expense. Now taking offers. I have the hookup on shipping, so don't be scared guys.:wink:

-Andrew 972 742 5155 anytime

Here is a pic. Anyone interested in this any more?

Attachments

• 10-25-07_1035.jpg
    10-25-07_1035.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 272
I'll vouch for Andrew. He's a straight shooter. I bought a block from him recently and I'm trying to work a deal on a few more.

Thanks Scott. It's always a pleasure doing business with you.

I'll do $300 shipped anywhere in the continental US.

Im somewhat interested. I guess the thing Im really curious about is, where do you get performance parts for these engines at? Everyone knows where to get 3.8 perf. parts, but I havent seen........hardly anything for these. Also, is this block bigger than the 3.8, and does anything swap over from the 3.8 to this block? Are the power possibilities a lot greater with this block?

Also, did you ever get rid of all those 109 blocks?

The crank interchanges between blocks for sure. Rods and pistons may be a different story. You're basically getting more cubic inches (extra torque and power) when upgrading to a 4.1. I'm sure there are other things than can swap over. I still have a few 109 blocks for sale. I just haven't advertised them.
-Andrew

The only change from the 3.8 to a 4.1 is bore. The crank and rods will fit. However custom pistons will need to be bought. For me it was well worth it. And you will need to get a hotair oil pan , front cover and drill the hole the oil return on the turbo.

4.1 blocks are a nice, quick way to get a few more inches. If you don't push them too much; the stock pistons will live for a long time. The 3.8 turbo crank is actually the 4.1 crank. All I've ever seen are 14 bolt oil pan blocks; so get a pan and cover if you have the 20 bolt pan and cover.

The oil drain-back can be put into the top of the timing cover if you don't have to have it look perfectly stock. The cover is a lot easier to drill than the front of the block; and there's a rib on the block where the hole would need to be.

The only weak point is cracks from the head bolt holes to the bore. If it's cracked; it's junk. If it hasn't cracked by now; it probably won't.

Enjoy the extra inches-

Hmmmm, got me a little nervous with that cracking part. Will the 4.1's be able to make the same amount of power as the stage II cars?

Also, what about the heads? Are they the same between the two?

And can those 4.1's be bored out anymore, or are people just leaving it exactly like it is, and cleaning it up?

RealestVin7, how much shipped for a 109 block? Im wanting a block, to build up over the next year or two to make really nasty power, so I want one that I wont have problems with. I would like a stage II, but those are rediculous in price.

Don’t panic about the cracks. You can’t fix them; but if the block isn’t cracked; it’s not likely to unless over-heated.

Same power as the Stage II? It could; just not for as long. Probably why they build Stage II blocks.

I’ve got a 4.1 bored 060 over; and never had a problem. 030 should be a breeze.

I was going to ask $225 a piece plus shipping for the 109's that I have left. I don't know when I'll get some more. My acquiring of 109 blocks is very very unpredictable. Personally, I'd love to try out a 4.1, but I'm in college and have little time to tinker with all my projects at once. Let me know.
-Andrew

I KNOW I responded to this a while ago. I just came back, looked at the listing in the for sale section and it says Realestvin7 was the last to post, although joes post is last. I went to my user cp, and it says my name as being the last poster, and joes name is still at the bottom. I hate to re ask the questions again, because I think Im going to forget something here.

1. Are the 4.1 blocks capable of the same power a stage 2 4.1 can handle/put out????
2. Do the guys with the stage 2 engines bore them out, and if so, can this one be bored out?
3. Will the cylinder heads that go on the 109's, like the GN1's, work on this block? I want something to build up over the next year or two, to make serious nasty power. If this one can take/make serious power like the stage 2 blocks, then this could be it. But also, can the 109 blocks also handle/make the kind of power the stage 2/this 4.1 block, can make? I hope this posts.

Also, how much for a 109 realestvin7, just in case.

What the heck, now the posts are showing. There must be some quark in vista's IE temp files or something.

So, I might have a couple more questions in this post. Answer ANYTHING you can that might possibly come to mind. Im seriously interested, just not certain what route I want to take just yet. Are these 4.1's hard to come buy? And, where do you get pistons for these, and how much do they usually run?

Joe, how much power are you making, and what is your combo? Also, how long do you think it would last at around 800 hp or so? Would the 109 last longer than the 4.1 at/around that power level?

Is the 4.1 a 2 bolt main, or 4? And has anyone ever used a 4.3litre 6 cylinder?

Maybe I should just stay out of this; but:

#1 A 4.1 block is capable of the same power as a Stage II block; but not for long. Probably something like 5 of the 6 seconds you would need to make a run at the track.

#2 Yes; you can bore a Stage II block; and most get it before they’re ever run. Production 4.1 blocks can be bored. 020, 030, 040, and 060 are all common overbores. Mine is 060 and still going strong; with a set of cast production 4 bbl style pistons.

#3 Cylinder heads are the same; although I recommend the turbo style with reinforcements in the water jacket; just because the factory did it.

I’m not sure what serious nasty power level you’re looking for. There are 109 blocks that run 9’s and now 8’s; but they are probably not quite as stock as Buick built them. I don’t know if Buick ever had an Indy finish other than the Pace Car; but wouldn’t have gotten far without the Stage II engines.

4.1 blocks can be found; but I haven’t seen one at the nut-buster shop I use in years. Pistons are available for everything in any design you want through a variety of custom shops. Less costly stock like alternatives are available through vendors on this site; Summit and Jegs, and probably NAPA and Auto Zone (it may be the same as the 350 piston; not sure). There are usually a set for sale in this forum every week or so. If you’ve got to worry about the cost of pistons; stay away from the Stage II blocks.

If 350 was enough; chevy would have never built the 400. There’s no substitute for cubic inches.

Somebody needs to buy this and have some fun.

Sorry, I missed that bottom bit:

Power; you mean like measure something? I got no clue. Never had the thing on a dyno. It’s run 11.5 on a rough track; and for what I have in it (used parts and new bearings and rings) that’s pretty good (yes; even a used 060 set of TRW (old) pistons). I doubt I’m anywhere near 800 HP; maybe getting close to 450 HP for a few seconds. With a girdle and billet caps you might handle 800 HP for a while. 800 is a lot to keep up with; even for a Stage II block. I’m sure someone here has grenaded one and can tell us how long it took. For now; this is enough for me.

The production 4.1 and the 3.8 blocks are basically the same. Which one would explode first at the same power level? You could open a thread on that and get some real debate. For the poor-boy route; having more displacement and keeping the power level below the explosion limit was an effective route for me.

The production 4.1 is a two bolt per main cap block. I’ve never seen a 4.3 Buick block; just Chevy; and I don’t think it would be worth the transplant cost for most of us.