Flush and advice

belsie

Getting ready to do a re-fill w/ type F on a good yet stock trans. Any advice on total flush w/ converter so I can start with all new & improved will be appreciated!!!

There's not much you can do with a converter in the car. Just refill the trans and drive it. You can drain it and refill again after a few miles of driving if you want to get as much of the old fluid out.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You can pull the line that feeds your radiator or cooler and direct it to a bucket using some rubber hose slid on the end. Get a case of fluid ready to start dumping in the trans and start the car. Let it idle and keep dumping in until you see new/cherry red fluid coming out the rubber hose into the bucket. Immediately turn off car (this is a job that you need to get a helper to run engine/shut off).
This method certainly isn't going to make it into a vehicle service manual, but will replace more of the old fluid than adding 4 quarts at a time.

You can pull the line that feeds your radiator or cooler and direct it to a bucket using some rubber hose slid on the end. Get a case of fluid ready to start dumping in the trans and start the car. Let it idle and keep dumping in until you see new/cherry red fluid coming out the rubber hose into the bucket. Immediately turn off car (this is a job that you need to get a helper to run engine/shut off).
This method certainly isn't going to make it into a vehicle service manual, but will replace more of the old fluid than adding 4 quarts at a time.

This does work but it will pump it out faster than you can put it in. It's so hard to fill as your going its almost easier to over fill the trans and run the engine for a few seconds until the fluid exiting the cooler line clears up then top off the pan.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Just spit-ballin' & by NO MEANS an expert!
but
could you take off both lines & pull the new fluid into return side?
Just throwin' that out for the gurus...

Do_O

@Belsie: You already posted an identical thread in the "General Tech" section right here. Please only post in one place and not duplicate threads. Either way, I provided the same unorthodox solution as mentioned by '86 MCSS NA' regarding the homemade flush and fill method. Other than that, you're pretty much stuck going to a shop and having them charge you an arm and a leg to flush the system. If you go that route, I would check my fluid BEFORE EVEN LEAVING THE PARKING LOT.

Also, it looks like Dusty confirmed what I was saying in the other thread about the fluid pumping out faster than you can fill it.

THANKS GUYS , I will always take all advice, digest and hopefully arrive at a successful procedure. Sorry for the dup. post, just trying to get the best responses & info.