First trip to the track with Alky

G. Price

Took the GN to the track for the first time using alky. Great improvement. Here's what I had, I'm looking for any advise or tips to go from here.

The best run I previously had was 11.73 @ 116.74

First Run was 11.574 @ 121.55
Second was 11.408 @ 122.72
Third was 11.325 @ 122.32
Final was 11.234 @ 122.73

I only have a scanmaster so I have limited info on the runs. Every pass was made at 23 lbs. boost. The only thing I was changing was fuel pressure.
The first pass was at 43 lbs, second was at 45 lbs, third was at 46 lbs and the last was at 48 lbs.

What I don't understand is as I increased my fuel pressure my o2 readings went down with the last being 652 at wot. Is this the alky messing with the reading?

Last thing my best 60 ft was a 1.701 so I think when I figure this out times will drop even further.

Thanks for any help.

Nice improvement, what are your mods?

Took the GN to the track for the first time using alky. Great improvement. Here's what I had, I'm looking for any advise or tips to go from here.

The best run I previously had was 11.73 @ 116.74

First Run was 11.574 @ 121.55
Second was 11.408 @ 122.72
Third was 11.325 @ 122.32
Final was 11.234 @ 122.73

I only have a scanmaster so I have limited info on the runs. Every pass was made at 23 lbs. boost. The only thing I was changing was fuel pressure.
The first pass was at 43 lbs, second was at 45 lbs, third was at 46 lbs and the last was at 48 lbs.

What I don't understand is as I increased my fuel pressure my o2 readings went down with the last being 652 at wot. Is this the alky messing with the reading?

Last thing my best 60 ft was a 1.701 so I think when I figure this out times will drop even further.

Thanks for any help.

Man, this alcohol injection is no joke! You dropped a half a second and picked up 6 mph. Great job. I can't wait to try mine at the track. With a good 60' you should be running around 11.00 and is very possible that you'll dip into high 10s. After you get some better traction, find out how much boost your PT54 is rated to handle and see if you can SAFELY bring it up a bit. I'm running my TE-60 at 27psi with no knock. I was told by Precision Turbo not to run any higher than 28.

What tires and suspension mods do you have?

Tires are Mickey ET streets, set at 13 lbs. Suspension is the UMI boxed upper and lower control arms, the 1/38 rear sway bar. Nothing else for the suspension right now.

Nice times. What chip are you running? Got it never mind. Increase the fuel via chip not fuel psi. Increase fuel psi to get your BLMs correct.

The increase fuel via chip not PSI. OK I'll have to look into that. I never messed with the chip. Just plug and play. My BLM's are right on the money, 125 to 130. Is this why my o2 readings stayed in the 650 to 675 area or is that the alky messing with the readings.
What do you recommend the setting for fuel in the chip should be. It is currently set at the setting Eric originally set.
One last thing, everytime I've gone to the track the car runs better as I increase fuel pressure. Everyone tells me set at 43 to 45 lbs. but the car keeps getting faster as I increase the fuel pressure. Is it possible this car just likes high fuel pressure?

The increase fuel via chip not PSI. OK I'll have to look into that. I never messed with the chip. Just plug and play. My BLM's are right on the money, 125 to 130. Is this why my o2 readings stayed in the 650 to 675 area or is that the alky messing with the readings.
What do you recommend the setting for fuel in the chip should be. It is currently set at the setting Eric originally set.
One last thing, everytime I've gone to the track the car runs better as I increase fuel pressure. Everyone tells me set at 43 to 45 lbs. but the car keeps getting faster as I increase the fuel pressure. Is it possible this car just likes high fuel pressure?

If you increase the fuel via FP, it moves the entire fuel curve up. Most likely your fat at spool up. Try removing fuel via chip for 1st gear so you can spool turbo faster and ge tthe car moving fast. Also increase fuel via chip for 2nd and 3rd (WOT adjust) shoot for .800-.780 mV in 3rd gear. 43 psi with line off sound correct. Yes some Buicks like fuel in the big end. Cool?

With O2s that low (650 to 675) careful something might go boom.

Thats my concern. I didn't think about increasing fuel via the chip. Thats why I kept increasing pressure. I have to figure out how too increase via the chip. Thanks for the help. I guess the alky does not effect the 02 readings then?

How was it not knocking like crazy with 02's that low? Last night I was just playing around trying to find a sweet spot for my car and at 111 mph I was 746/19.2 degrees of knock? I can't believe your motor is in one piece, unless my car is deceiving me.

The highest knock I got was 4.9 and that was transitional knock at the shift. Other than that I never showed over 1.9.

you need to increase fuel with the chip.
increasing fuel pressure will result in more fuel at start but less fuel volume when boost rises . especially when we are talking 48 base (or was that with vac connected ? which would be higher base FP in the 56 psi range )and then add to that the 1:1 PSi increase running at 23psi boost for a total of 71psi fuel line pressure at the rail (or79 psi if vac line was on when FP was checked) ,

and O2 sensors arent accurate for fueling ,
mine was runing 714-719mv with AF of 11.2 11.3
at your level you need to get a wide band

Agree with previous post: 02 mVs don't mean jack. Go wideband and don't look back. It's like a little real-time window into your motor. Then you will see how irrelevant narrowband sensors are for tuning purposes. I haven't paid attention to mine for a while now.

Set FP at 43psi as per Eric and follow vacuum 6's advice in post #8 for adjusting fueling.

OK looks like everyone leans towards wideband. How about a start point as far as adjustment for fuel in the chip. Also a little education on wideband. What to get, ect.

I would start by adding in 3rd and 4th to see if the O2s go up some, if they do keep adding.
Wideband and Power Logger is my my next step (it's not cheap but then compare that to rebuilding an engine..) There's lots of threads on WB, lots to sift through and learn. Power Logger is probably the best system for logging data with the Turbo Buick since they are obd1. There's plenty of stuff for obd2 but that doesn't help us.

i'm using the LC-1 with the Xd-1 gauge

i dont use powerlogger (still with DirectScan) but power logger is a good way to log AF with the LC-1 as well as logging boost with a 3bar mapboost.

when i ran the 10.4 pass it was cool that day and wasnt running Wide band correcting so the AF dipped . I was logging Af with the LM-1 unit and AF was 11.5-11.7, o2 on that pass only showed (and logged) 680-690 through third gear but the egts were starting to climb into 1700s so now i try not to run that lean on alky and 93 . 1590-1600 EGT is where i feel comfortable and still making good power for the boost which is at 11.1-11.2 Af

i thought the idea in tuning alky was to get the best ratio gas/alky meaning taking as much fuel out of chip to increase alky ratio example 80%gas 20% alky with no knock:confused: i dont have an a/f gauge yet but i am at 808 02's with 24/21 timing no knock 43 line of fuel and fuel in chip at default 830 through first 815 through 2nd and 808 in third

Add just enough alky to suppress knock. If the car is lean add fuel not alky.