first time builders

WE4 WARRIOR

thinking about rebuilding my own 200r4. money getting tight. anyone out there do their own with no previous tranny experience. how did it turn out. what special tools are needed and where to get those. thanks for all replies.

I'm thinking of doing the same for the same reason, low $$ flow. I am planning on buying the book from CK and look it over before I take the plunge. I need a trans that works!!!

I too am ramping up for a self rebuild(Actually I will likely build two as I want one for my GS also). I bought a kent moore 28542 low/reverse remover/installer tool. I have been scouring ebay for a 29696 seal installer tool but I'm not sure it is needed. I bought the atsg shop manual, CK performance book and a kind member sent me a principals of operation manual I have been studying.

I know I will be doing the dual feed mod. I won't put in a kevlar band. I have a billet servo of some kind I bought a year or so ago used and will probably use that. I will probably buy the parts from jakeshoe as he has answered many of my questions and I would like to know he got something for his trouble.

Check out the link for some pix jakeshoe posted on a 200 4r rebuild. Good Stuff.
200-4R Rebuild Article with Pics - NastyZ28.com

I'm thinking of doing the same for the same reason, low $$ flow. I am planning on buying the book from CK and look it over before I take the plunge. I need a trans that works!!!

I reccomend you get the CK book. There was a disenter on here talking it down but I never could get this individual to post what was wrong with the information. I find this to be the best place for 200 4R info. Jakeshoe(and everyone else)have/ has always answered my questions.

When I get to mine I'll post the pix. Just a matter of time and money.

My dad was the first to rebuild my 200-4r, watching him made learning a lot easier. After a few broken hard parts later down the road (too much power for stock part lol) I started to rebuild the units myself. This boards members and the helpful vendors are an excellent source for tips and tricks. CKs book is very good. Jakeshoes build on that link looks to be a very good step by step instruction as well. Good luck on the builds.

Alright, I am pretty sure I am going to tackle rebuilding the trans myself. I need suggestions on parts, kits, and sources. My sig has the mods. Will need some pricing and some number crunching to see how much money will be saved.
I am not afraid of getting into the trans because there are many here that offer help and I really appreciate that.

You also might check out this link for friction questions.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/224444-preferred-frictions.html

I found it odd that Bruce won't give advice. Maybe he will share his knowledge in the future. As stated jakeshoe is always willing to share his opinion.

Does he really have to explicitly say? Look at what he uses in all of his above stock level builds: Raybestos Blues.

He also has a nice thread at the top of this forum about how to build a 2004r. There are tons of archived posts where he freely gives out tons of advice.

What more do you want? Should he come over to your house and click your mouse for you? lol

I used CK's book to build my own trans. It works great. I made my own tools where needed except the low/reverse puller installer. I bought it on ebay.

Does he really have to explicitly say? Look at what he uses in all of his above stock level builds: Raybestos Blues.

He also has a nice thread at the top of this forum about how to build a 2004r. There are tons of archived posts where he freely gives out tons of advice.

What more do you want? Should he come over to your house and click your mouse for you? lol

I used CK's book to build my own trans. It works great. I made my own tools where needed except the low/reverse puller installer. I bought it on ebay.

Maybe he just comes off wrong to me. It just seems like more often than not he feels the need to post with 'attitude'. I guess I just take it the wrong way. Probably a good guy down deep.:confused:
No skin off my nose.

Let me say then a 'Special' thanks to Bruce for his free exchange of ideas:D Right up there with the cpt frank guy.

Added more.
I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't understand their stand offish attitude. Surely they don't just build for the turbo Buick community. If they do it is a kinda limited business plan. Expanding the plan more surely they do build more then just performance builds. maybe not but this still brings me to my point. There are a very select few that would even remove the trans from the car much less 'crack' one open for a rebuild. I would think less than 1 in a thousand which equates to a tenth of a percent. Creating a display of knowlege would certainly make me want to use their services or buy thier parts. Bashing each other and talking down just isn't coducive to building a good business. More flies with honey than vinegar as the saying goes. I'm not asking for their super secret handshake or to study their books. Just a little freindly advice.

Ya I hear ya. The weird confrontational posts that Bruce has been posting recently are not the norm from him. He usually doesn't say much unless he is helping someone.

But the info is out there if you just use the search button. In all honesty, there is enough info in the archives which explain every aspect of the 2004r. Search for it, I'm sure whatever question you have, has been covered.

If you do a search on only CK's posts, he pretty much, at one time or another, has posted all of the tips and tricks that are in his book, here on the forum. Trust me, I have read just about everything he has ever posted. ;)

Sounds to me like we are on the same page. I can respect a guy that does it for a living not wanting to divulge the holy grail to the masses. I'm sure that they endure way more stupid questions than is necessary. But it comes with the territory.

I am glad each and everyone takes the time and effort to answer the questions. Without them the forum dries up pretty quickly.

Mass thank you to all who share their knowlege!