First time at the track with new set up, (Weber shortblock)

evil666

1986 T-top Buick Grand National 64922km (40341 miles)
Weber short block 245ci, M&A heads, erson 214/214 flat tappet cam, pt67/76 dbb turbo (.63 ar) , 70 mm accufab TB and Plenum, PTC convertor, 275/60/15 MT drag radials, 3700lbs race weight, roller rockers, port match lower intake , razor dual alky injection set at 8 (max), 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, kenne bell headers, 80 lbs injectors, turbo tweak alky chip with 23/21 timing, with a gen 2 with a LS1 maf ,thdp, mease 24 row IC, PTC 3200 stall 9 1/2 convertor, Ron Custom max boost brake module, rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HR motor mounts, Weld Drag Lites with skinnies up front, electric exhaust, hr rear sway bar, no front sway bar, 90/10 lakewood in the front and 50/50 lakewood shocks in the rear with energy suspension poly bushings all over, boxed rear lower control arms, Big mouth cold air with an AFE air filter.

Exhaust opened (25lbs of boost)
60FT=1.55 (foot brake on 2 lbs of boost)
1/8= 6.76 at 103.56 mph
1/4= 10.53
MPH=130
Wide Band=10.2 to 10.3 top of third.

Exhaust opened (25lbs of boost)
60FT=1.45 (foot brake on 5 lbs of boost)
1/8= 6.64 at 103.38 mph
1/4= 10.45
MPH= 129
Wide Band= 11.0 to 11.1 top of third, took out to much fuel on that run .

I didn't get a chance to play with it a bit more because I blew a driver's side header gasket (felpro 1400) on my third pass.

Marco.

change over to copper gaskets .. and that will be the last 1400 you blow apart . good luck .

Much better than your old times, what have you changed or done different since your old best of 11.4x?
Are M&A heads ported?

Cool, glad to see it is running good.

Hi Rob

First I just want to tell you thanks for selling me a great shortblock. I would have tried the set up earlier but I was having issues ripping the splines out of my Ptc convertor last year. Hopefully next year I will get more time to get the car fine tuned, to get more out of it. I will have to get another dif, cause this is my oem one that I am running. Which 76 turbo and what AR were you running with this shortblock, and how was the response on the street (lag)?

PS: I know it took a while for weber to finish off your stage motor but it was well worth the wait. I read your posts and saw the videos of you going to the track and OH MY GOD your car is a real rocket. I could only dream of having a fast street car as yours. If one day I could hit a 9.99 I will throw the towel and be done with it. Is the turbo you are running the same one you had with your 109? How do you like the Hoosier drag radials on the street without warming them up? I run the MT drag radials and if I don' t warm them up on the street the traction sucks. My MT ET Street would stick a lot more on the street but I would hate the ride and thats why I switched to drag radials. Just would like your opion on the Hoosiers.

Thanks Rob and take care,
Marco.

change over to copper gaskets .. and that will be the last 1400 you blow apart . good luck .

Yes I will be switching to the SCE copper gaskets. I have been tring to figure out what is the right part # that I could use on my M&A heads. I found part # 4472 that go on stock iron heads and # 4072 that go on alluminum GN1 heads. I will try the 4072 and hopeully they will work out, can't be worse than the felpro 1400.

Thanks,
Marco

Much better than your old times, what have you changed or done different since your old best of 11.4x?
Are M&A heads ported?

This was my set up when I ran 11.48, and my M&A heads are not ported.:

stock long block from oil pan to TB, stock suspension, 12 inch red stripe convertor (2800stall), te44, smc alk injection (95 % etanol), 25.5lbs boost,( boost spike 28 psi in 1st gear), 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, 42 ½ lbs 009 injectors, turbotweak alky chip with 23/21 timing, thdp, mease 24 row IC, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/50/15) 3720lbs race weight with driver. (Torque convertor locked only after car shifted in third), rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HR motor mounts, comp cam 980 valve springs. Weld Drag Lites with skinnies up front, electric exhaust cut-out.
BEST E/T
60FT=1.53
1/8= 7.25
1/4= 11.48
MPH=120.82
BEST 60FT=1.52

Marco

Yep, no roll bar yet. This winter is it getting a 10 point chrome moly cage, window net, parachute, everything to be legal.
I am running the same turbo on this engine I ran on that 109 76hpq .85ar, same cam too. Lag was horrible with a 0 pump Vigilante, but with the PTC, it was bearable as long as the rpms were up. With this 9.6:1 274", I can spool the turbo and blow the tires off in 3rd gear at 35mph easily. I was running the 109 safe though, 10.8AFR, 23psi, 18deg timing. More timing and 11.2AFR, it would have made alot more power. Since the car has no roll bar, it's track time was limited. I was happy with the 109 going 9's. If I still had it, I would have pushed on it alittle more the next season probably would have went 9.3's pretty easily.
The Hoosiers are awesome. My old MT's would spin like crazy, these just leave light marks on the ground from grabbing, and go. The slicks I was running hooked decent on the street. The Hoosiers are the best tire I have used. I have been hearing good things about the MT Pro Radials though, only available in a 275/60, but they are supposed to be better than the Hoosier.

I had bad luck with SCE copper exhaust gaskets, but I was trying to use Chinese headers. They might work if the raised bead actually line up to the port on the header. I am using the RJC Racing gaskets now. I have a slight leak on number 6, but I use that as boost ramp time.

Yep, no roll bar yet. This winter is it getting a 10 point chrome moly cage, window net, parachute, everything to be legal.
I am running the same turbo on this engine I ran on that 109 76hpq .85ar, same cam too. Lag was horrible with a 0 pump Vigilante, but with the PTC, it was bearable as long as the rpms were up. With this 9.6:1 274", I can spool the turbo and blow the tires off in 3rd gear at 35mph easily. I was running the 109 safe though, 10.8AFR, 23psi, 18deg timing. More timing and 11.2AFR, it would have made alot more power. Since the car has no roll bar, it's track time was limited. I was happy with the 109 going 9's. If I still had it, I would have pushed on it alittle more the next season probably would have went 9.3's pretty easily.
The Hoosiers are awesome. My old MT's would spin like crazy, these just leave light marks on the ground from grabbing, and go. The slicks I was running hooked decent on the street. The Hoosiers are the best tire I have used. I have been hearing good things about the MT Pro Radials though, only available in a 275/60, but they are supposed to be better than the Hoosier.

I had bad luck with SCE copper exhaust gaskets, but I was trying to use Chinese headers. They might work if the raised bead actually line up to the port on the header. I am using the RJC Racing gaskets now. I have a slight leak on number 6, but I use that as boost ramp time.

Hey Rob

Thanks for answering. I have another Question for you, do you think there is alot to gain by switching my M&A to GN1? The M&A heads I have use to belong to Eric from Dynotech and he had ran a best of 9.60 at 141 or 142 mph on a stage motor, but I can't remember the turbo he was using or how much boost he was running.

Marco

What are the valve sizes? I don't know alot about the M&A heads, but they have to flow more than iron heads. I don't think there is anything there. Some porting might help. If they are untouched, I am sure there is some bowl work that will help. I would invest the $ in a roller cam before worrying about changing heads. Give it some more boost!! It is running good.

What are the valve sizes? I don't know alot about the M&A heads, but they have to flow more than iron heads. I don't think there is anything there. Some porting might help. If they are untouched, I am sure there is some bowl work that will help. I would invest the $ in a roller cam before worrying about changing heads. Give it some more boost!! It is running good.

The intake valve = 1.86" and 1.500" for the exhaust. How much more do you think I could get by switching over to a roller cam. Like my flat tappet because the motor sounds nice and quiet. I would probably get use to the noise of the roller lifters if there is enough HP to be gained out of it. What motivated me to go with the flat tappet is that I remember reading that Jason from RJC would run in the nines with a 109 and a bigger flat tappet cam.

Marco