First post here... requesting some swap info and possible suggestions

airbrush1

First off, I'd just like to say Hi to everyone. As you can probably tell, I'm a newbie here, and I'm (to put it nicely) a bit unknowledgeable about these cars. My uncle owns an 87 T-type, which I have been in love with since I was a small child (I get the car in his will.. but I hope he's not going anywhere anytime soon!). I recently Purchased an 86 olds Cut Supreme as sort of a project car/daily driver. It's a 6cyl car now, and I've kicked around the idea of a V8... but as someone who has some forced induction experience ( I'm a recent convert from the DSM scene) I would prefer to go the 3.8 turbo route. What are the logistics of this swap? any general Ideas of parts costs? I'd be doing the work myself with some help, so I'm not concerned with labor costs at all. Is there a place where I could purchase a bare block to work with while I can still daily drive the car as is for now? Also, is there a manual tranny I could use (I just can't stand an auto car, they drive me nuts)

ANY help would be greatly appreciated guys, and thanks again!

KEN

I'm one who has done this and there are others who have done Regal wagons, reg Regals and Monte Carlo's.
For me the hardest part was all the wiring. There is some wiring in the car you may not need and some you need to change pins in. Some people have used the entire harness including the dash from a turbo car and that saved some complications.

It has been said before many times before find a complete donor car as it will save you a lot of headache tracking down little missing bits and pieces.

All in all I love my car and how it has gone from Gutlass to:eek:

If I had to do it aging though I honestly don't think I would have, for what I have into it I could easily have bought a really nice T Type or GN. It is however built and modified exactly as I like though.

Part of the decision to go with the 3.8 however was;
1)Different and it's not a Chevy
2)Incredible power potential (especially hp to $)
3)respectable mileage
4)Smog laws (engine swaps must be same year or newer than car and retain all smog equipment, basically I will smog as an 87
GN when the time comes)

If you can do a v8 swapand not be hassled by smog laws then I say go for it. Small block Olds motors are nice, lots of torque, good street motors.

If you just like the looks of the cutlass consider swapping the front clip onto a wrecked T. Do a search for HYBRIDT thats what he has and it is very tasty.

Any questions e-mail me or post here.

yeah, problem is I DO have 2 deal with smog here in Maryland, and getting a donor car is a space problem for me... but yeah, you're right, for the cost of the swap I could get a pretty decent GN or T-type, maybe I'll research that route and just use the cutlass as a beater:(