first numbers with T-Link

YNOVATE

I got the GN blues
ok here's some first time numbers from my car:

while cruising at 2250RPM's
BLM= 113
MAF= 28-31
o2's= swing from 31 to 672(lowest and highest numbers shown)
IAC= 33 13%

I took her on the highway and got interesting results:

when I reached 3500 RPM's in 2nd gear
BLM= 120
MAF= 137
o2's= still swinging away(the frame I hit 3500rpm o2 was at 102
IAC= 33 13%

I eased a little on the throttle to let her shift into 3rd and then got the boost to 12-13psi when this happened:

at 3025rpm I hit
BLM= 120
MAF= 148
o2's= 0
spark ret= 8.8 deg

my o2's stayed VERY VERY LOW for quite some time. between 0 and 4 mv for quite a few frames. at one point with a BLM at 128, o2's at 4mv MAF at 7(I let off the throttle) I hit a spark retard number of 12.7 deg.

these are the numbers I thought were the most interesting I'd say that crusing around I averaged a BLM of 113, MAF of 30, o2 swung from 150 to 650(average lows and highs) with an average engine speed of 2250 rpms.

where do I go from here?
thanks
-Brad-

brad-

honestly,the only #'s that matter(besides iac and tps) are o2's and kr @ wot.you want to tune it as lean as you can without knock at the top of 3rd gear.

fatten it up a little(or turn the boost down)and make a full pass,wind it out to 100mph+ in 3rd.record the run on t-link.if you get knock(a degree or two at the shift is ok)fatten it up.if no kr,lean it out.eventually you will discover the "sweet spot" that is the right combination of fp and boost.don't try to run "as much boost as you can" right off the bat,you will have to turn the fp up so high to cover 3rd gear(when the load is highest)that you will drown it in the lower gears and it will spool like a pig and be slow.

trust me,it will be faster(and much more fun to drive:D)with a little less boost overall,but being lean and mean:).

hope this helps.

later,sean

ok...that makes it a little easier then. I guess i'm gonna have to see if I can get to a track on wednesday night.

thanks

Unless you're into power enrichment mode or WOT in the chip, your O2 numbers will fluctuate all over the place...I don't remember exactly what info is given out on TLink for the 84/5 ecm, but does it show O2 crosscounts??? Do the numbers on the O2 crosscounts get bigger with every frame and if so, by how much??? The bigger the change, the more active your O2 sensor is...If it isn't changing by very much, then your O2 sensor is most likely dead...Time to change it...

Your BLMs are a touch low which means the ecm is pulling out fuel(running a little rich)...Try to turn your fuel pressure down about 1-2# and get some more data...The BLMs need to be as close to 128 as you can get...+/-10 around 128 is fine(i.e. 118-138), but it's best to get it as close to 128 as possible...

When you list info from TurboLink, list all the info...i.e., TPS, BLMs, INTs, MAF, O2, kr, etc...By looking at all the info in sequence(frame by frame), we can tell more about what is happening in the motor...

By just picking one frame here and one frame there and leaving out some info in those frames, it's hard to tell what is really going on...

You can't just pick one bit of info out and ignore the rest...It is all tied together, one sensor affects another which affects another, and so on...By looking at it all, you can usually find the one controlling factor which is causing everything to go haywire, but that is almost impossible to do without more info...Which is why switching to the 87 ecm is so important...

By switching to the 87 ecm, you can throw all the tuning out that you did with the 85 ecm, because the chip will be different and you have to go through and re-tune all over again...

Post some info at cruise, like maybe 30-40 mph...Show data for 2-3 frames...Then go WOT for a few frames ONLY if you don't get a whole lot on kr...Try to do this in second to third gear...A few frames of this is helpful...

Hope this helps some...Get us some more info when you can get it...

Brad, you don't need to go to the track for WOT. A decent stretch of road works well. We usually have the car dialed in before going to the track doing 1/4 sprints down the road. Granted not all the same conditions but this would actually get you close. I'm not sure where in Jenison but you are always welcome to come out to the house and get some readings going. Neighbors are used to it, in fact one thought we sold the cars cause we haven't been doing any tuning lately. (great to have understanding neighbors and a pretty unused road)

FJM-- yeah, that makes sense that you'd need to see all the data in frame-by-frame sequence.

I don't think I get a reading for the TPS, INT, or Kr with my ECM. Unless Kr is the same as Deg timing retard/advance?(Kr is Knock Retard correct?)

Turbo6x2-- Jenison sucks for roads that I could run on. there isn't one around here that I wouldn't be worried about running into a cop on. If you wouldn't mind I'd like to come out there and get some passes done. then the two of you can actually "show" me how use this program.

you can e-mail me at TRICKYDOGG@attbi.com