First Mods?

Peeds

Hey guys I just bought a 87 turbo-t on saturday. Im really new to these cars. I was wondering what should be the first mods done on these cars? everything is stock besides a webber 206/206 cam 30lb injectors and ram air. Eventualy i'd like to be making 350+ rwhp. thanks
-Paul

fuel pump is good, but i'd go scanmaster, or better yet if you have a laptop get turbo link. at the very least get a knock gauge.

also boost gauge, water temp, maybe oil pressure.

and go to gnttype.org and do the sprink cleaning. i know it takes time and doens't sound like it will help, but trust me you'll be VERY glad you did it.

thanks alot guys. first thing will be the hotwired fuel pump. i have a boost gauge so i'll look into getting water temp and oil pressure guages. i've read about getting a scanmaster but where is the best place to get one?
-paul

thanks dan. i was wondering what are the limits on the stock engine internals will the stock pistons hold up in the mid 11's?

Originally posted by Peeds
thanks dan. i was wondering what are the limits on the stock engine internals will the stock pistons hold up in the mid 11's?

There are a lot of cars in the mid 11's with a stock unopened motor (including me) and more yet with a stock bottom end with ported heads. If you use good gas and don't detonate the motor, it will hold up well in the 11 second range.

Originally posted by XLR8
There are a lot of cars in the mid 11's with a stock unopened motor (including me) and more yet with a stock bottom end with ported heads. If you use good gas and don't detonate the motor, it will hold up well in the 11 second range.

awesome. thanks

You'll need a fuel pressure gauge to make sure your boost and fuel pressure are proportional, Extremely important! You could buy one from Jegs, etc., but you'll have problems with those gauges.

Originally posted by SpeednV6
You'll need a fuel pressure gauge to make sure your boost and fuel pressure are proportional, Extremely important! You could buy one from Jegs, etc., but you'll have problems with those gauges.

yea im going to defintly get the gauges takin care of. the only one i have is a boost gauge. then the fuel pump and scanmaster will come. thanks
-paul

get the hooker exhaust which includes test pipe. mods in the following order, scanmaster, fuel pump, exhaust......then go from there.

Check out the spring cleaning (not sprink cleaning) at gnttype.org. New fuel filter is a must, every 10,000 miles. Fuel guage is good. I like the hood mounted one from kenne bell (it is the only part I recommend from them, maybe their 70mm throttle body/plenum) Stay with the stock headers! A down pipe (Terry Houston) is a good bang for buck, so is the alky kits, a good torque converter/matched for your choice of turbo. A TE-61 will get you into the 10s for about as cheap as you can find. Still great on the street.