Finally....tunage.

87natl

Fade 2 Black
I've spent so much time and energy on getting my car right mechanically(beastly), that it was great to do something to simply make the car more enjoyable to cruise around in.......as we used to say in high school, TUNAGE!

I have tunes, and they jam. I didn't even bother with trying to get a decent system in the car for years because it was so damned noisy, with so much drone, that listening to the stereo was pointless. Tht is OVER!

Step one, dump my old 2 1/2 exhaust system and installed a Pypes exhaust.

Step two, Dynamat in doors floorpan and trunk areas including rear deck.

Then, the system. I pulled my old old OLD Kenwood 920 amp out of the attic and paired it with a set of Kenwood 6X9's in the deck. Model 6907, been sitting on them for years. Got a second Kenwood amp, KAC-7204 that I picked up online for a steal, $89. That is paired to an Infinity 5 1/4 component set in the front doors/dash. Head unit is a DEH-P77DH which has RCA outs for front and rear amps, plus an additional RCA out for a sub.....which is feeding a powered bass tube that fires into the rear drivers side of the trunk. 2 Amps, 6 speakers plus a sub....and this thing will blow your head off with crisp clear TUNAGE!

It's been a fun couple of weeks tinkering away with this setup in the evenings....reminds me of my younger years rigging up systems with friends in everyones ride. I never thought I would have that element in THIS car. System is really pretty basic, and not exactly high end stuff (expensive). So much crap out there gets overhyped, when it's really comes down to matching your amps will with whatever drivers you are using, and doing some quality wiring...don't skimp there. I am especially pleased because I didn't have to do any cutting on my car, besides cutting the already cracking grill parts out of the dash panel, and covering them over with fabric panels that match the interior. I have always in the past ended up cutting sheetmetal on my cars to put in great sounding systems....and I was not going to do that with my GN. Nothing was done that can't be undone.

Ahhhh, me so happy!!!!!!! I'm going to go and destroy my hearing now.But not with DRONE ;)

Man that sounds great!
Could you post some pic's of the work done on the dash?

There's not much to show. I cut out the cracked up grill area from my dash panel. (They ALL end up cracking up). Then I used some rigid plastic to cut a shape that would cover it, cut a hole in the center for the sound to come thru. then wrapped it with some grey fabric, attached with spray adhesive. Then I used adhesive velcro strips to atach it in place. Simple and easy.
Dash.jpg

Looks great!!
Do you have the concert sound in your car?
I don't have that and would like to get a good look at the doors(door pods).
Could you shoot some pics for me?
Thanks

In the Pic above you can see the stock original Concert Sound door pod. It only houses a 5 1/4 speaker, but having Dynamatted the doors and sealed them,they pump better than expected. I was considering getting the lower door panels from DixieMonteCalrloDepot and fitting some 6 1/2's in there, but right now I am satisfied and leaving it alone. As I say, looks clean and original, and sounds damned good. So why mess with it? I've got enough bass coming from the rear to rattle my fillings. :biggrin:

FYI: http://www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com/78-88montecarlo_subSections/s4.html