Finally took the plunge....

GNSteve

EFI Unlimited #4
...and ordered a TA-49.:D I also ordered braided feed and drain lines, too. I placed the order for this stuff yesterday with John's Performance. Hopefully I'll get this stuff in time for the long weekend.
Anyhow, I've got a question for those that have swapped turbos already. What gaskets, if any, do you need? I know there's no gasket between the turbo and DP. What about the turbo to exhaust manifold? I know that the drain line needs one, too.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Just making sure I've got everything in hand prior to wrenching. Also, any tips or tricks to make the install go a little easier?
Thanks for any info!

Originally posted by GNSteve
...and ordered a TA-49.:D I also ordered braided feed and drain lines, too. I placed the order for this stuff yesterday with John's Performance. Hopefully I'll get this stuff in time for the long weekend.
Anyhow, I've got a question for those that have swapped turbos already. What gaskets, if any, do you need? I know there's no gasket between the turbo and DP. What about the turbo to exhaust manifold? I know that the drain line needs one, too.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Just making sure I've got everything in hand prior to wrenching. Also, any tips or tricks to make the install go a little easier?
Thanks for any info!

A gasket for the oil return line should be included.

No gasket needed for the header/turbo connection. In fact, if you use one once you will have to always use one as they have a metal ring in them and it will compres into the turbo inlet and the header as well. Just clean up the header surface (the turbo inlet should be perfect already) a little with a file if it needs it and maybe use some Permatex ultra copper to make sure it seals properly.

Also, get some M8 x 1.25(thread pitch) studs that are about 1.5" long and install them on the turbo oil return line, otherwise you will be screwing around with that thing for hours trying to get it on. I do that with all my turbo's now and it helps make the re & re a snap. Yeah, I've re & re'd a couple turbo's in my time :rolleyes: :eek: :)

!

What Clayton said is exactly what I was going to say. I would spray WD-40 a day in advance on all the bolts for the turbo.

I HIGHLY reccomend the studs for the oil return line. The SS oil return line has the gasket with it allready but you will have to use liquid telflon for the end that goes into the block. I had the copper gasket that Clayton mentioned but it eventually leaked so I got a GM turbo gasket but had to dremel out the hole. But a file and gasket sealer will do fine.

Give me a call it you have any other questiones

no posi???

Originally posted by Geoff87
Yeahhhh Steve!! :)

Now get yourself a posi and some slicks!! :D

Tell me it isnt true! No Posi?

I guess Steve's gonna play some more...

Re: no posi???

Originally posted by HI85WH1
Tell me it isnt true! No Posi?

I guess Steve's gonna play some more...

I think Steve's doing this because he doesn't want to relinquish his title of being "the one wheel burnout king".:eek::D

I'm not sure if I should congratulate you Steve, or offer my condolences for the beginning of habitual spending on performance parts.:D

Keith,

"Beginning of spending?" That's funny.:rolleyes:
How've you been, man?

As for being the oddball, I've got that title in the bag. Lemme see...no posi, factory T-tops, Twilight, right mirror control, manual antenna...
Don't see that too much on the other TR's around here. I don't mind. I like being *different*.:D

Steve

How you like that 49? You know its never going to end, next will be the bigger injectors and mabe a IC to go with that :D

Its gets addicting after you do you first BIG mod :eek: But then again money don't grow on trees :p

Keith,

How've you been, man?

As for being the oddball, I've got that title in the bag. Lemme see...no posi, factory T-tops, Twilight, right mirror control, manual antenna...
Don't see that too much on the other TR's around here. I don't mind. I like being *different*.:D

Steve,

That does seem to be a rather strange combination of options...remote mirror, twilight, manual antenna?

BTW, hows the 'King?

Rob

Jackson,

You're right, money sure doesn't grow on trees. Tell that to Guy.
:D

Rob,

What's up, man? The King is doing well. Little over 3K on her now. Don't really have any big plans in store for the future, although that may change.:D

Keith,

How've you been, man?

Hey Steve,

Sorry, I forgot your spending began when you first bought your GN.:eek: ;) As for me, I'm doing good, thanks for asking. How about you man?

Looks like you're finally doing what you've always wanted to do with your GN. BTW, you're going to like that TA-49 with your current combo.

It's a good turbo that works well with your bluetops and stock D5 TC. Though you might want get a stickier compound tire for the right rear (I forgot about the "king" part....forget the sticky tire).:D

Keith

Jackson,

You're right, money sure doesn't grow on trees. Tell that to Guy.
:D

Rob,

What's up, man? The King is doing well. Little over 3K on her now. Don't really have any big plans in store for the future, although that may change.:D

The King is doing well.... on her ...???

at least some of us understand that...