Finally got my new 88mm turbo in!!!

turbobitt

Just got my new turbo today and thought I would share. This thing is unbelievable and never saw a compressor wheel so aggressive and tall.

This is a Borg Warner based hybrid turbo. The turbo starts life as an S400 bearing section and turbine platform. The compressor side is adapted to fit a custom aluminum back plate to be fitted with an S500 compressor cover. The end result gives small displacement guys like us a selection of useable turbines coupled with a superior compressor side of the S500. The turbo is now called an S450.
The compressor side should flow well above 150 lb/min airflow and at the higher pressure ratios were we need to run these at. Below are some pictures of the turbo.
I won't say publically where I got this thing but he is a board member. Can't wait to see how this WORKS Turbo..... oh wait, I mean Turbo Works!!!
Ill leave it up to his discretion if he wants to post.
If any one is interested I can PM the info.
Allan G.

021.JPG
017.JPG
photo.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: tdd
What size exhaust wheel and a/r housing did you get? I just bought a custom s476 from C.R.T for my latest build. Can't wait to go testing.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What size exhaust wheel and a/r housing did you get? I just bought a custom s476 from C.R.T for my latest build. Can't wait to go testing.

I chose the 96/88 turbine w/1.10 A/R. A 1.10 exhaust housing for his turbine doesn't exist so one needed to be machined from a smaller wheel. I chose this because the turbine was almost an exact match per dimensions as my Y2K-88.

FYI- Chris at CRT has my Y2K in for upgrading. He made a backplate to adapt the Garret GT compressor cover and new wheel.
Allan G.

Chris is the man, I have bought the last 2 turbos from him.

Allan, place a basketball next to the turbo and snap another pic lol. I was very surprised when I held a s400 race cover turbo, that sucker was huge!

Allan, place a basketball next to the turbo and snap another pic lol. I was very surprised when I held a s400 race cover turbo, that sucker was huge!
Can't find a basketball but will mount it and take some pictures. Hopefully it fits.
AG.

Well it looks like it will fit with very little fabrication. Just need to make a new hot boost pipe. Will need to get a new oil fitting before I start it up.
AG
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386446659.006750.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1386446679.188963.jpg

Batmowheel giggle giggle, Allan can you share your turbo iteration(s) and decisions on progression ?

Batmowheel giggle giggle, Allan can you share your turbo iteration(s) and decisions on progression ?
Well. My old turbo was a Turbonetics Y2K-88. T was a really compact turbo and I thought would make good power. After having the car on the dyno, and seeing the power curve as boost increased, it was becoming obvious that the compact compressor housing wasn't going to support or keep up with the power that other more modern turbos are making. The Turbonetics map only shows about 120 lb/min airflow at 3:1 pressure ratio. I feel I'm about there at the boost levels I'm running. I spent a lot of time researching a new turbo and always been impressed with the compressor maps of the Borg stuff. The only problem for me was that the factory box Borg 88 can only be had in there giant S500 turbine. Not wanting to use No2 to aid spool and knowing what my backpressure was with the F1-89 turbine, this turbo was the next logical option. This turbo solution was presented to me by a well known builder and I was very eager to try. The new Garret stuff is equally impressive but is also almost twice the price. Looking outside the Buick arena there are a lot of fast cars running Borg based units.
AG

Looks real promising, how many lbs/hr does the exhaust side flow?

This is a journal bearing unit I would imagine? Spool might be similar to a 4788? Bot not as good as a 4788bb you'd probably think?
Nice to see others trying out some different turbo combos

This is a journal bearing unit I would imagine? Spool might be similar to a 4788? Bot not as good as a 4788bb you'd probably think?
Nice to see others trying out some different turbo combos
Spool time will be interesting. It is a journal bearing turbo and would be a little surprised if it spools as god as my single BB Turbonetics unit with the same turbine size. The 4788 has a smaller turbine and would suspect it would spool much faster on this engine and even if it was a journal bearing.
Allan G.

Looks real promising, how many lbs/hr does the exhaust side flow?

I been told by Reed that the turbine would easily support the compressor flow. There is a smaller 87/80 turbine that will also work but will be borderline. That turbine will be the backup plan if this thing doesn't spool. We also have another A/R to try before going there.

Based on my Y2K results I'm suspecting spool to be similar or slightly slower.
Allan G.

Can't wait to see your car run again. Still going to be streetable? Got to go to the track the next time you run it to see in person.

I've read about those batmowheels a few years ago and would like to know how the performance is on a buick engine.

I hope you share your results with us and let us know if that wheel is all that I've heard it is.

It was a revolutionary design when it first came out a few years ago.

Allan,

That compressor wheel is really interesting looking. I know it's a billet piece but what is the advantage over a more conventional compressor wheel? The reason I ask is that all the turbine engines I work with have radial compressors and I've never seen anything quite like that. Maybe our engineers need to go back to the drawing board.

Neal

Allan,

That compressor wheel is really interesting looking. I know it's a billet piece but what is the advantage over a more conventional compressor wheel? The reason I ask is that all the turbine engines I work with have radial compressors and I've never seen anything quite like that. Maybe our engineers need to go back to the drawing board.

Neal
Neal,
I'm not sure how to answer that but I can say that it's loosely based on the Borg design where there cast wheels will flow more than most made from solid wheels. The blade height and angles give it advantages at higher pressure ratios.
AG

Bullseye power not only sells turbos, they sell wheels that fit garrett,BW as well as others if people would like to buy just the wheel.

Maybe Brian can expand his turbo re/building service to include batmowheels as an option if performance difference is justified.

Bullseye power not only sells turbos, they sell wheels that fit garrett,BW as well as others if people would like to buy just the wheel.

Maybe Brian can expand his turbo re/building service to include batmowheels as an option if performance difference is justified.

these Buick guys want to spend $400 on a turbo, u think they will spurge for a batmowheel? Lol