Finally got an original radio

Mattzoom

After 8 years of no radio in the GN (was stolen out of the car when the car was stolen) we finally got one, went out to a guys house and he had five of em we trade parts around and made the best one from the other radios. Oh yeah this guy had a 3400 mile GN a GNX andhe had a T-TYPE also had a 70 Buick GSX convertible, didnt get pics of his cars tho :(

SOOOO EIGHTYS HAHAH

DSCN7658.jpg

woop woop radio is in

DSCN7671.jpg

DSCN7670.jpg

Make sure all the negatives are grounded back to the proper connections. From what I remember you can't use a floating ground, just grounding them anywhere will kill the amps... these were 4 channels at maybe 45 watts each if I recall. Just get a tape adapter and plug in your iPod !

actually dont have it hooked up yet because the connector is wrong and we need to go back and get it from him so it is jus sitting there now hope to go back and get it and I will take pics :).

There's a guy on e bay - oem gm radios - who has these radios with wiring harnesses and a warrantee for about $135 each.

I just bought an '88 model radio just like yours only it has a CD player instead of the cassette, it's a pretty rare radio, paid $325.

He's a good dude.:smile:

Radio looks great, but be sure you check the tape deck belt. Probably good to replace it. Mine broke! I upgraded my radio to a GEB model from the Treb/Bass slider model just under it that came in my car. After a couple years, the belt broke with normal use. Being an extremely cheap bastard, I actually superglued the belt together successfully where it broke. Worked for another week before it broke in another spot entirely. Nice try.

It might not be as fancy as today's radios, but the stock Delcos appeal to me. Growing up with my father's GN & its stock GEB radio, that's just what belongs in that slot for me.

M

Not sure how accurate this is....but I also seem to recall hearing that the units from early 90's GMC Jimmy's are drop-in's.

I used to have a 94 GMC Jimmy, and wish I had kept the old radio out of it after it got totalled by a drunk driver rear ending me on El Toro...
I remember tossing it into the trash with a bunch of other parts that I saw no value in as I cleared my garage out one day...perfectly good unit...and it definitely looked like a ringer for the one in the dash of my GN.

New Stock GN radio

All,

I have a vertually brand new one. Took it out of the car about 23 years ago, its sitting on a shelf in my garage, LMK if anyone is interested.

Frank

All,

I have a vertually brand new one. Took it out of the car about 23 years ago, its sitting on a shelf in my garage, LMK if anyone is interested.

Frank

i might be interested, is it the one like in the pic above?

and how much

Thanks
Dave

Oh yeah this guy had a 3400 mile GN a GNX andhe had a T-TYPE also had a 70 Buick GSX convertible, didnt get pics of his cars tho :(

I've run into dude a few times in Mira Mesa. He's cool as a fan and has lots of cars. He just moved out here from the East Coast...I still think he has cars back there too. :biggrin:

I met him while he was in violation of the 1 foot barrier around my GN @ Wings-n-Things a while back. :eek:

Not sure how accurate this is....but I also seem to recall hearing that the units from early 90's GMC Jimmy's are drop-in's.
I'm fairly certain you're correct.

Back in the day my buddy owned a highly optioned S-10. This particular truck sported the top of the line Delco deck w/ the equalizer. After time he put the vehicle up for sale and said the radio was mine to pull, as my stock unit in my GN was out of commission.

I procrastinated and never found the time to swing by his house & pull the radio. Several weeks had past & I decide to pay my buddy a visit/pull the deck.

Sure enough..he sold the vehicle a couple of days prior.

Live & learn, young & dumb. :wink: