filter

dadmomcat

What type of filter should i be using on a alcohol set up ???
Need brand and part number.

Also is Shurflo the best pump to use on alcohol systems ??

Thanks

I'm very happy with the Sureflo pump. I'm using model #2697 available from Northerntool.com for $55-$60. Very reliable and long lasting.

Steve........when the hose comes out of the alky reservoir at 3/8", I was thinking of just reducing it to 5/16" line to the pump, instead of the 1/4" that I have it now. Do you think there would be any downside to that?

Since I installed my alky kit, using the sureflo pump, I've been using a clear plastic Purolator filter between the reservoir and just before the pump. They cost a couple dollars and I replace it every couple months. I eliminated the filter from the system last week and found I was going through my alky supply twice as fast. I can only surmise that without the filter, my alky supply must be getting siphoned into the up pipe during normal driving. Needless to say, I reinstalled the filter today. While the filter is free flowing, it still must offer some resistance to the siphoning.

pump/filter

Red Regal T

I'm installing a " Shurflo " and a filter from Summit in the trunk w/ a 4 gal cell this week end. I will email a few pictures.

This is over kill, but i'm having FUN !!!!
Paul

John,

Are you saying the filter prevented siphoning under vacuum conditions or that it was a restriction and the pump flowed 1/2 as much alky than without the filter (i.e. "during a full pass it injects 12 oz, without the filter it injects 24 oz)?

Mike

I definitely was using a lot of alcohol without the filter. I didn't activate the pump very much. It must have been siphoning during normal driving. I don't think the filter causes restriction when the pump is activated because of pump pressure, but must help to stop siphoning while driving without the pump activated. There's no doubt in my experience with my car that I was going through twice as much alky after I removed the filter.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Thanks Steve. That's what I thought. New hose this weekend. ;)

New hose? That should go nice with the pretty pink purse I sent you! :p

Hoser!!!