Filling in a Hole in the Roof...

darkfa8

- driving everywhere -
I have a old, poorly installed, leaking aftermarket electric tilt and slide-under type moon roof in my car.

I've gotten quotes of arounf $1k for a new Holandia electric one-touch moon roof installed (with me taking out the old one)

Has anyone successfully filled in a moon roof hole with a patch of roof from a hard top car? ... would or could it be cheaper then putting in another electric moon roof?

thoughts.. experience and pictures appreciated.

The correct way to this is to replace the entire roof skin. If you take the cheap way out and patch it the repair will come back to haunt you. I have a car that had rust holes from a vinyl top and the quote I got with me getting a used roof and removing the moldings and quarter glass was about $500. That didn't include paint. I can get a used roof for $100 so it depends on how badly you want a sunroof. The cost would be a little more to convert it back to a solid roof. Eric Fisher

another guy from CT here (have not seen him post in a while) had the hole filled when they repainted the car...

looked bad, he is going to cut it back open and put in another sunroof

any other ideas?

I have a lot of electrical work/time invested into this body.. since some people have suggested I get a hard-top body and get that all cleaned up, painted and then swap all the stuff from my car into it.