felpro rear main seal

lp2

badass mofo
Hi guys, now I know I keep asking stupid questions, but these buicks have some weird things about them..

I'm trying to figure out how to install this rear main seal. It's got 2 rubber ends, and 3 metal pins. The instructions are pretty poorly done, and none of the howtos from gnttype.org seem to help me at all. Can anyone give me some help?

Thanks.

LP2,

Start with a test fit so you see how everything goes together. Take the two rubber strips and slide them flush at the top into the side grooves in the main cap. Make sure the wide side of the rubber strips are facing away from the main cap. Install cap and tighten snug. The rubber strips will either need trimmed at the top or rtv to fill gap. You should have 4 pins two different sizes, find the 2 that are flush with the top of the maincap and place the pins on the inside of the rubber seal inside groove closest to the cap. Oil the pin a little and tap pointed end in first. Pin should be flush with top of cap. After you know everthing is good to go then you can assemble for good. I use a little rtv on the bottom of the rubber strip for insurance. If you need anymore help or don't understand what I am sayin then email or post. I also can email pic of instructions. Good Luck THANX, Doug

Thanks, I spent the evening having a close look and mostly had it figured out, but that paragraph sets my mind at rest. Now I just need to go buy the good neoprone seal, my kit came with the cord one.

Just got my Trans back in and had the rear mail seal and oil pan gaskets replaced also...transmission is great but after a few days of driving I noticed some oil leaking around the starter area, does this indicate a bad seal install??? Should have it up in the air this weekend to get a better look.

Just did one about a month ago on my 87. I'm sure they're the same so here are a few bits of advice. Make sure all mating surfaces (cap to block) are clean. I used acetone but any similar type cleaning product will work. Where it calls for the use of rtv, make sure you use an anearobic sealant. Very important! I found out the hard way. I used rtv the first time and let it cure for over 24 hours. The seal leaked again so when I disassembled to do it a second time a week later I found the rtv still had not fully cured. Take your time and everything should be fine. I tried posting a couple of links that I thought might be of help but they weren't working right. I've never done that before. Do a search on rear main seal and you should come up with all the info you need.
Rob