Feedback on Traditional Chlorine vs Salt Pools

GrnNatlFan

I just purchased a house with an in ground swimming pool and was looking at alternatives for cleaning. The pool is set up for traditional chlorine but next door neighbor converted his to salt and loves it. I have read both positives and negatives for converting to salt. I found this in my reasearch and was wondering if anybody has experience or is this a hoax? Chlorine Free Pools - Intec-America.com, Chemical Free Pools, Ionization, Ionized Pools, Copper Ionization

Looking for the best, cheapest, least maint option.

Where I live & work they converted to salt & say its more economical over time & does not eat at the paint as bad a chlorine. I know that since we paint the pool every few years. Thats all they told me in a passing comment.

I've never owned a chlorine pool. We have had a pool with a salt chlorinator now for 4+ years, and I like it. Just pick up a bag or two of salt from Home Depot periodically to dump in there. I don't get the eye burn and irritation from it that I usually did being in chlorine. I can't speak for cost comparisons since I've only personally done the salt, but have to believe that maintenance expenses are less, and that headaches are minimized.

I've never owned a chlorine pool. We have had a pool with a salt chlorinator now for 4+ years, and I like it. Just pick up a bag or two of salt from Home Depot periodically to dump in there. I don't get the eye burn and irritation from it that I usually did being in chlorine. I can't speak for cost comparisons since I've only personally done the salt, but have to believe that maintenance expenses are less, and that headaches are minimized.

Have you had to replace the salt chlorinator? Any corrosion associated with the salt? Do you have a pool liner or is it fiberglass? Looking for all information I can find from people with the salt setup before I spend the money to convert and possibly regret the decision.

salt setups

I don't have the salt setup in my pool, but I switched to a product called EZ Pool 3 years ago. All I do is put the recommended scoops in each week and run 3" chlorine tablets in the skimmer. It is much less abrasive than a true chlorine setup. I love the stuff and haven't had an algea problem since I changed. I don't even check the water for balance anymore, the pool is so clear.

I just purchased another house and it has the salt system. I have had 2 chlorine pools before and hated them i could never keep them clean. This salt is incredible its really easy to use alot less maintenance. I dont know cost difference but in the time you spend cleaning to using is a big +. Also like posted earlier easier on eyes, skin, & hair. My system has a digital readout wich tells me when water is low on salt. I dont know about liners or fiberglass i have concrete but i wouldnt see it affecting it. Good luck with the new house! :smile:

Have you had to replace the salt chlorinator? Any corrosion associated with the salt? Do you have a pool liner or is it fiberglass? Looking for all information I can find from people with the salt setup before I spend the money to convert and possibly regret the decision.

Haven't had to replace anything yet after 4 years...but my pump motor is starting to struggle on startup. Which of course has nothing to do with it being a salt pool. Mine is a concrete/gunite pool and I haven't had any issues with discoloration or sediment, etc. Honestly, I don't have anything bad to say about it. I'm sure the chlorinator will have to be replaced at some point, and they can be pricey. But as I say, it's been just over 4 years, and I live in Florida where my pool gets used and run a LOT of the year. Expense so far has been minimal.

chlorine here

concrete pool, 3in chlorine tabs, grandkids almost daily.
no issues, no paint as its still natural,
pool is 18yrs old,
I check it weekly , or maybe bi weekly if I remember.

Attachments

• 2-09 pool3.JPG
    2-09 pool3.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 113
I just purchased another house and it has the salt system. I have had 2 chlorine pools before and hated them i could never keep them clean. This salt is incredible its really easy to use alot less maintenance. I dont know cost difference but in the time you spend cleaning to using is a big +. Also like posted earlier easier on eyes, skin, & hair. My system has a digital readout wich tells me when water is low on salt. I dont know about liners or fiberglass i have concrete but i wouldnt see it affecting it. Good luck with the new house! :smile:

AMEN! Our fiberglass pool was chlorine from day one (1992) until converting in 2006. You cannot imagine how little the cost is (including lack of corrosion damage) compared to chlorine. I keep my resid a little high and as a result, only add algaecide maybe 4x's a year. Get your salt at Lowe's for $4.50/50# bag. I'd guess the payout is less than 2 years. BTW, if you're handy you can snag a complete unit off E-Bay for 60% of in-store or installer prices and installing it is fairly simple. FWIW, I got my E-Bay unit for $730 while Warehouse Pool Supply was running theirs (exact same) for $1199 on sale.

Of course!

Is that Turbo Regal yard art :p[/QUOTE

now is a highly modified garage queen -LOL
did you see 3in ex in back ground?
should be up and running soon, and could surprise me!

Pic was right after we bought it, 2 years ago.
calcium deposits, you bet, house was a forclosure, and sat empty for couple yrs, acid bath and it was up and running,

I spend about $150 yr on chemicals, TOTAL

what would payback be on salt equipment switchover?

We have had the salt system for three years and love it. Easier to maintain, etc. Highly recommend the salt setup!!!