Federal Mogul, replacement pistons ring instructions missing!!!

cracker

Hey, after importing a set of .40thou cast/standard style federal mogul pistons and rings to australia last year i have some how lost the instrutions on how to install the rings, which way they must face(they have a single dot on one side of each ring) and which is the upper and which is the lower compression ring.

Going by what iv done with other Gm v6s of the same family the dot on the ring usally means up...but im not really intrested in risking this has any one got any idea on how to identify the upper and lower pistons rings from one another and if the dots go up for down!

The part number on the box reads " E-434 40 " then under it " 2M - 5612 040 "

I dont own a buick turbo work shop manual either as these cars didnt come out in australia
The pistons are going into a buick retteta ? style engine which came out in your fwd east west cars from around 1988-1994 im lead to believe.

Any help would be great as im really stuck!
thanks tom

some info

Dots go up ----look @ the outer edge of the 1 st and 2 nd rings--almost always the one which is shiney will be the top ring. Best of luck.

also

if there is a champher on the inside of the ring , that goes up,, (pressure from compression help force the ring against the cylinder)

chamfer as in like an angle cut on the ring? one of them had that i used it as the lower or 2nd compression ring? and the top one was just square.
niether were really shinny i went by this guide i found later on! i hope that they are in the correct order also yes dots are all facing up.

if they are in the wrong order would be nice to find out sooner rather then later as its only a short motor atm.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...questions-about-sealed-power-rings-e434k.html

Also just out of interest how strong are these pistons? what would people rate them at? blokes over here have run around 250-300rwkw on our standard motors which have a much less heavy duty bottem ends.

correct

what I have found is the chamfer is normally the 2nd ring (not top ring) and yes the chamfer goes up,
I'd say you have them correctly installed,
I'm supposed to pick up some rings today and they are FM, I'll see if the paper work is inside, I could email you a copy.

no idea what they will handle on power.

I might have set of instructions for sealed power which i think are the same, i can get to them this weekend.

The second ring is the softer ring. If you have to file fit I would start with the second ring and then move to the top ring.
Jeff