FAST upgrade options?

JeffB

right now i have a bank to bank optispark ECU w/wideband...

i'm using 1 stage of nitrous... can i use two (either with or without an upgrade)?

what would it take for SEFI and individual cylinder control? is it even possible to upgrade my box?

if either of these upgrades are possible, what is the approximate cost?

thanks!

Jeff,

AFAIK the N20 can be upgraded to two stages weather its B2B or SFI......

As far as upgrading to SFI, changing the box can be done by just contacting your FAST dealer and getting with them (believe it needs to be sent to the factory though?)

The hard(er) part is adding a Cam Sync Sensor. There are a couple different methods floating around on this. Most aren't exactly easy on a car thats already "done" so to speak.

Mine I'm using an MSD Distributor w/ Built-In Cam Sync. I had planned to just drill the LT4 intake for the distributor and call it a day, but I decided to scrap the LT4 all together, this being one of the reasons among others. To me this is the simplest, and most viable option. Other methods may require more machining in the intake valley onthe distributor shaft area, welding a pickup to the cover (as Dean77 on this board did), or a few other ways to go.

Good luck!

Kurtis
97 Z28 396

B2B systems only have one stage of nitrous control available.

A SEFI upgrade gets you up to 4 stages but you lose fan, pump, and IAC.

Trust me, you don't want to be spraying two stages of nitrous on to a motor with an Optispark on it. You may as well throw a bag of bolts in the throttle body while it's running.

I'm afraid i'm gonna need a little more clarification on the "optispark won't handle 2 stages" thing?

i want to run about 200hp of nitrous total... but i can't hook up the full amount off the line, so i'd like to have a 50hp shot on the launch, and then at half track bring in another 150hp... certainly, there are people running 200hp of NOS on an optispark... why would it matter if its one stage or two? i'm thinking that maybe you assumed that i was talking about huge amounts of nitrous... i run 15psi of boost as my main power adder, so the nitrous is just a supplement...

What I am referring to is the disaster waiting to happen when your Optispark breaks internally. I can't believe how many people I have worked with that have had Optispark units break apart internally and cause bad things to happen. Yes, I did assume a very large shot of nitrous when you said 2 stages, but given that you are adding a 200 hp shot to a motor that already makes a ton of power, it just got even scarier to me.

I have harped on this subject a thousand times and sorry if I bother people with it, but I will always be of the opinion that Optisparks SUCK. I think that race cars shouldn't have Optisparks for the same reason that blimps shouldn't be filled with hydrogen, and we all know what happens there. :(

You obviously have a great running car and know what you are doing, and I don't mean to step on your toes by telling you about what I think you are doing wrong. I just can't stop myself from trying to get people not to use those things.

well, if you search back through this board's archives you'll see that i've inquired about the eDist option quite a bit... you're not hurting my feelings one bit by bashing the optispark... i would LOVE to convert to coil per plug BUT i cannot live with no rev limiters and two steps... i remember you saying the same thing yourself... PLEASE find a way to make the FAST/eDist/coil-on-plug combo have a rev limiter and i'll sign right up!