Fast update...Craig ? Where are we ?

The point is Craig does not work for this forum. He comes on here on his on time to try and help some of you with their problems. To keep badgering him is counter productive to all of you. Maybe he will just stop posting then who are you going to bitch to? If this happens the only ones you can blame are yourselves. If you really want to know when the update will be available call a dealer better yet call FAST and see how far you get. When the software update is available I am almost positive it will be available for download on their website. Then all of you can use it and start bitching about it. Until then shut the f@#k up and wait.

Originally posted by JrTuner
The point is Craig does not work for this forum. He comes on here on his on time to try and help some of you with their problems. To keep badgering him is counter productive to all of you. Maybe he will just stop posting then who are you going to bitch to? If this happens the only ones you can blame are yourselves. If you really want to know when the update will be available call a dealer better yet call FAST and see how far you get. When the software update is available I am almost positive it will be available for download on their website. Then all of you can use it and start bitching about it. Until then shut the f@#k up and wait.

JrTuner

You have such a way with words:D

Back to my question ... do you know what is the latest version that is in production at this time ?

Kind of blunt there JR Tuner. Let's not get huffy and chase Craig away from here. I know we all appreciate his knowledge and help here..... plus on his own time.
I went to Vegas for the NHRA and talked to a FAST rep. He said what Jr Tuner said... It'll be on the website for people to download. As for the predicted date..... he didn't know.

Originally posted by Quick86GN
Now Clem I think you might have corupt software or screwed up laptop or both. I have a customer with a IBM laptop that will not record certain data parameters yet install the same software in a different laptop & it works fine. Some of the dash info is for internal diag. they should just leave them out it is nothing that will help us. Revs are the number of crank pulses that must be received by the ECU . Counts would be used in the TPS & MAP A/E to caculate rate of change. I'm sure you can achive your driveablity & WOT goals with the software you have.
I will talk to Lance about your problems & see if any can or will be corrected with the next version.

Thanks for the reply, Dale

I was thinking about reloading the software at some point...and I do have an IBM Thinkpad ! One thing is, the software was already loaded on the laptop I got with the car and it's version 1.005 and there wasn't a disc given to me. If I download the program from fast, it's ver 1.003 ?

"Revs are crank pulses" Does this equal actual number of engine revolutions or 3 crank trigger pulses for each engine rev ?

"Counts calculate rate of change" but what is a count and how do I relate this to TPS & MAP ?

What would you suggest using (as far as a street & strip tune) for A/F at idle, low speed cruise, highway cruise and low to mid areas of boost ? I'm set up at high 10 to low 11-1 ratio at 20 - 30 lbs boost

Thanks again

We have run into some problems with the Thinkpad in the past. Stay with version 1.005
The actual number of engine revolutions
"Counts calculate rate of change" Lowest # is smallest rate of change, Highest # is the fastest rate of change
A/F Raitos @ idle differ for all combos, just set to best idle quality & highest vac.
A/F Raito @ cruise speeds no boost 14.7
A/F Raito @ WOT 11.0 to 11.5 you are safe were you are now.
Street & strip A/F will remain the same, You can get use aggressive with timing with race fuel. These are basic guide lines I don't know your combo. The best indicator of performance is the race track & the seat of your pants, chassis dynos are good too.

The version that is downloadable on their site is a demo and is version 1.003. So I guess you would need to contact a dealer for the current software. I am not sure if they will charge you or not. If you have a good relationship with the dealer you purchased you unit from he will probably just give you the software.

Let me throw a different prospective on this. To the people that are running windows, whats wrong with running the DOS version? It simple, and it works. It works as good on a 2000 hp car as well as it does on a 300 hp GN. Are people running the Windows version because they want to use the datalogger? Don't want a laptop in the car? Record more sensors? People hate dos? Just curious because I really don't see whats wrong with the DOS version?

Personally I would like to see the DOS layout and design in a windows version. Call it "Classic" verson. Yes I like to see more than 8 sensors at one time but once you get your car dialed in theres really no reason to see many of those sensors anyway.

I can also tell you that try getting the amount of tech support the guys from FAST do with other companies. Personally I can't see how anyone uses Motec. Some guys are spending $10,000 for a system. Not too user friendly neither. Also I've had many different stand alones on my car. Electromotive, Ford EPEC, Motec and FAST. I wouldn't run the other systems if you gave them to me for free, and $10,000 in cash. Why not? Because my car would be always down because it nuked a motor and my engine costs more than $10,000 in repairs if I nuke an engine. Again Electromotive and EPEC tech support is terrible. We're lucky theres guys like Craig and Lance that know what they are doing.

I would like to see a training video as much as anyone else. I think there maybe liability issues attached to that. If someone goes and blows there engine up because they followed a video, I would think that would have liabilities issues that nobody would want. I could see lawsuits happening even with a big warning label on the front of the video.

The best way to get training or bugs worked out is to get someone like Dale to spend a day with your car and have them go over the functions in person. I'm sure someone like that would let you video tape the session. Just don't try selling it (LOL). He's great explaining how things work. You'll come away from it a totally different person.

IF I was a windows user that was experiencing bug issues I personally would either find a very talented tuner to help you through the problems or use DOS for a while.

The best way to get training or bugs worked out is to get someone like Dale to spend a day with your car and have them go over the functions in person. I'm sure someone like that would let you video tape the session. Just don't try selling it (LOL). He's great explaining how things work. You'll come away from it a totally different person.
Actually, I think it would be great if Dale did this and sold the video! Even if FAST comes out with their own video, each would be from a different perspective and would be sure to cover things that the other didn't emphasize. There are other videos out there, like for transmission rebuilding, so I'm sure you could put together a sufficient legal disclaimer by looking at what they use. Start with the FAST in the box and the stock ecm and harness in the car, do the install, start with the generic file from FAST, and tune it up. Check with the gnttype guys to see what video copying service they use for their nats videos. Heck, make it good enough and maybe FAST would buy it to include with the unit instead of doing their own :).

Dale would be a great person to do a video although again legal parts of this would make me nervous if I was the one actually doing it. Imagine the guys blowing their engines up and blaming it on the video. People sue at the drop of a dime these days.

The concept of video taping is great. The best thing would actually to have a VGA to composite video converter and have the entire program on the screen in full resolution. All that would be needed would be a microphone. So all you would need is a Mini DV camcorder, a VGA to composite converter, and a Microphone. That would be killer.

On the down side of the video don't forget these guys do this for a living. You don't want to take away their business because people are now spending $30.00 for a video instead of $XXX/hour. If I was doing it for a living I wouldn't mind letting someone video tape me thats paying me to teach and tune, but I wouldnt want it spread for vast duplication. That would be me if I was doing it for a living.

The best thing to do is to find someone that doesn't do it for a living that is really good with the FAST.

Originally posted by Dave King
Let me throw a different prospective on this. To the people that are running windows, whats wrong with running the DOS version? It simple, and it works. It works as good on a 2000 hp car as well as it does on a 300 hp GN.

It might work great on a 2000hp car and a 300hp Gn but have you tried running dos on windows XP ??

Originally posted by Ricky Trussell
It might work great on a 2000hp car and a 300hp Gn but have you tried running dos on windows XP ??

I see your point now. Yes new Laptops are a problem.

I bought a laptop for $200. Nothing fancy, just a NEC Versa with a P250, it has windows 95. I use it specifically for FAST.

Nothing wrong with older technology. Now if race tracks start cracking down on laptops being in cars I could see the urgency. Until then the old DOS works for me.

TTT

Originally posted by HighPSI
I would suggest calling FAST directly. Craig comes to this site out of courtesy. FAST (TCI) are the ones that ultimately are responsible.

It's true. Hence, my post(s):

I would suggest calling FAST directly. Craig comes to this site out of courtesy. FAST (TCI) are the ones that ultimately are responsible.

So what is Craig up to now days? Starting another stand alone brand? Or did he migrate to another company?

This also serves as a TTT.