FAST system

wmerrell

a "tuning expert" suggested installing a FAST system in my GN. I'm tired of throwing parts at the car. When should, if ever, a Turbo Buick go to a FAST system?

I havent got mine yet, but its going in with the new motor. Im installing it because of the amount of $$$ I have spent on the motor. It runs everything and takes control of the tuning better then a chip and ECM. It needs tuned by someone who really knows what they are looking at...aka Cal Hartline or someone of his caliber. When you consider a Scanmaster is $250 and a Powerlogger is $275 and a chip is $85 and a ECM is $100 ( if your converting a 84-85 lets say) your almost halfway there. It also will allow you to change to several types of fuel and you dont need to swap out anything like the chip. Its just a program change.

Coach:D

IMHO, you need to have a clear direction on what you want to accomplish. IMHO, if your goals aren't 9's or quicker.... you probably need to stick with a chip for now. It doesn't get any easier on an 11 sec regal than to just buy a TT chip and plug it in and go. Also, if you can't do some of it yourself (tuning a FAST) you will do alot more sitting than driving as compared to a chip.

Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for a FAST..... just probably not "the answer" for many turbo regal owners....and since the OP has a very small number of posts.... and no details in his sig..... I must assume you are probably in the 11 - 13 sec range.

Coach..... just because you get a FAST doesn't insure you can't/won't blow it up. IMHO, sometimes it is easier to screw something up in the FAST than in a chip. With either system, things like fuel system, power and ground system must be there or things are gonna get ugly quick.

I havent got mine yet, but its going in with the new motor. Im installing it because of the amount of $$$ I have spent on the motor. It runs everything and takes control of the tuning better then a chip and ECM. It needs tuned by someone who really knows what they are looking at...aka Cal Hartline or someone of his caliber. When you consider a Scanmaster is $250 and a Powerlogger is $275 and a chip is $85 and a ECM is $100 ( if your converting a 84-85 lets say) your almost halfway there. It also will allow you to change to several types of fuel and you dont need to swap out anything like the chip. Its just a program change.

Coach:D
Last year I went with an extender chip, translator, powerlogger and scanmaster.
I feel those items are a waste of money.
My garage is filling up with high tickets items that have been replaced with higher ticket items.
I think I will stick with a tuner that doesn't want me to buy more parts so he can do his job.

Last year I went with an extender chip, translator, powerlogger and scanmaster.
I feel those items are a waste of money.
My garage is filling up with high tickets items that have been replaced with higher ticket items.
I think I will stick with a tuner that doesn't want me to buy more parts so he can do his job.

Sorry you feel that way. Those items you mention are extremely capable of providing plenty of HP to the wheels with ease...... idle good, provide decent fuel economy, only requiring you to input a minimal amount of time and effort to make it work. If your tuner can't make those work, get a different tuner..... there is nothing wrong with those parts.

You still need to provide people with your combo and your goals so that people that know.....can provide you with the best advice.

You still need to provide people with your combo and your goals so that people that know.....can provide you with the best advice.

I have had a fast system (XFI) in my car for a few years and it has taken me from all the way from high 12's to middle 10's has had different turbos, injectors,hell even different fuels,never needed a chip reburn or a bunch of switches needed to changed(translater crap) ect ect...I love it and recommend it to anyone that is going above and beyond a "stock buick"

And as Coach said...if you got money into an Engine its the best way to go being you can manipulate everything and log anything and make sure your always in tip top shape!

I recommend going through Hartline Performance for all your XFI questions and needs

-Dan

I have had a fast system (XFI) in my car for a few years and it has taken me from all the way from high 12's to middle 10's has had different turbos, injectors,hell even different fuels,never needed a chip reburn or a bunch of switches needed to changed(translater crap) ect ect...I love it and recommend it to anyone that is going above and beyond a "stock buick"

And as Coach said...if you got money into an Engine its the best way to go being you can manipulate everything and log anything and make sure your always in tip top shape!

I recommend going through Hartline Performance for all your XFI questions and needs

-Dan

I will echo Cal as the vendor of choice if you decide to buy a FAST. With that said, timing and fuel changes on todays chips shouldn't require any messing with dipswitches or translator settings. I have never messed with my translator settings since I began running it. It is a product that just works. A Fast may not require a different "chip" when you make major hardware changes, but you will still need to retune it anyway. Injector changes can be done easier with a FAST, but IMHO, at least into the 9's, you can buy one set of injectors up front and be done with it..... 80# high z's are mid 9 sec capable and will work just fine on a mid 12 sec car too..... so I don't think you will need to be changing injectors very often either.

To each his own.

FWIW, my car has a wideband controlled TT chip, PL, SM, Translator, and a soon to be instlled CNP setup. I have been helping tune two 9 sec cars that use an XFI....... one has a distributor, one has the original wastespark system. I am not an expert on either system, but I am also not a rookie either.....

I went with the FAST XFI last year and what a difference. Cal Hartline is a great wealth of information on these systems and a great tuner as the multitude of posts testify. He can even evaluate your tune and logs and email you a new tune to install. He has worked on mine long distance several times.

I went with the FAST XFI last year and what a difference. Cal Hartline is a great wealth of information on these systems and a great tuner as the multitude of posts testify. He can even evaluate your tune and logs and email you a new tune to install. He has worked on mine long distance several times.
Same here plus with the self learning enabled it basically tunes itself!

Sorry you feel that way. Those items you mention are extremely capable of providing plenty of HP to the wheels with ease...... idle good, provide decent fuel economy, only requiring you to input a minimal amount of time and effort to make it work. If your tuner can't make those work, get a different tuner..... there is nothing wrong with those parts.

Exactly, those are great items. This expert wants to install a $1600 FAST system. It seems that the FAST system makes what I have redundant.

Exactly, those are great items. This expert wants to install a $1600 FAST system. It seems that the FAST system makes what I have redundant.
Not redundant just sub par
I went XFI and never looked back!
I have some friends that have translators and stuff like that...seems like they are always playin with it...ALWAYS:confused:
I don't even bring a laptop with me anymore;)
I just drive the thing...

What all mods are on the car now?

Turbo?
Injectors?
Cam?
Heads?
Converter?
Wideband?

What are your goals? What boost do you think it will take to get there?

All these are questions you need to honestly answer to get the best advice IMHO.

What all mods are on the car now?

Turbo? 6262 BB CEA
Injectors? 60
Cam? 212/206
Heads? Champion iron ported
Converter? PTC NL
Wideband? No

What are your goals? What boost do you think it will take to get there? 10.9 at 25lbs

New Weber stoker block forged rotating assembly

All these are questions you need to honestly answer to get the best advice IMHO.

Not redundant just sub par
I went XFI and never looked back!
I have some friends that have translators and stuff like that...seems like they are always playin with it...ALWAYS:confused:
I don't even bring a laptop with me anymore;)
I just drive the thing...

What is the cost? Do you need a FAST system and the XFI or is it the same?

I would say realistically.... you have the potential to go into the 10's..... It think it is obtainable by 25 psi.......

With that said, you should still be able to get there without spending the $1600 on a FAST (I think it will be closer to $2k unless you are buying used and without a wiring adaptor).

What Intercooler?

Alky?

Bottom line is, IMHO, the hardware is there to go into the 10's. I prefer a wideband chip that has WOT 02 correction. IMHO, it is a poor mans FAST.

I would say realistically.... you have the potential to go into the 10's..... It think it is obtainable by 25 psi.......

With that said, you should still be able to get there without spending the $1600 on a FAST (I think it will be closer to $2k unless you are buying used and without a wiring adaptor).

What Intercooler?

Alky?

Bottom line is, IMHO, the hardware is there to go into the 10's. I prefer a wideband chip that has WOT 02 correction. IMHO, it is a poor mans FAST.

Dutt neck intercooler and a half.

Alky - yes

How do I go wideband with the WOT 02 correction?

Blazer406 said:
IMHO, you need to have a clear direction on what you want to accomplish. IMHO, if your goals aren't 9's or quicker.... you probably need to stick with a chip for now. It doesn't get any easier on an 11 sec regal than to just buy a TT chip and plug it in and go. Also, if you can't do some of it yourself (tuning a FAST) you will do alot more sitting than driving as compared to a chip.

Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for a FAST..... just probably not "the answer" for many turbo regal owners....and since the OP has a very small number of posts.... and no details in his sig..... I must assume you are probably in the 11 - 13 sec range.

Coach..... just because you get a FAST doesn't insure you can't/won't blow it up. IMHO, sometimes it is easier to screw something up in the FAST than in a chip. With either system, things like fuel system, power and ground system must be there or things are gonna get ugly quick.

Yep. You are correct. My car is being built from top to bottom. Not added on to. New stroker,tranny,convertor,double pumper,FAST...etc. Plus all new add ons. 3.5 Houston pipe, 4inch RJC exhaust, RJC front mount...etc. It's a major build. Plus Cal will be involved.

Gotta look close at one's budget as well. When you look at things like FAST and other standalones you think, "Meh $1600 I can save up and get that." But once you're actually done setting it up the way you want with sensors, harness adapters, boost control, tune....it ends up be much much much more.

Gotta look close at one's budget as well. When you look at things like FAST and other standalones you think, "Meh $1600 I can save up and get that." But once you're actually done setting it up the way you want with sensors, harness adapters, boost control, tune....it ends up be much much much more.
sensors..you should already have all the needed sensors...
harness adaptors... makes it plug and play...not cutting wires and butt connectors like other systems
Boost control...tighten the rod more boost loosen the rod less...:confused:
Tune...free with purchase and lifetime support

I looked at it this way

1)zo6 maf$$$
2)translator$$$
3)chip$$$
4)wideband$$$
5)getting the chip to have w/b control$$$
6)modifying stock ecm to run decent injectors $$$
7)scanmaster$$$
8)powerlogger$$$
9)buy a new turbo burn a new chip
10)change injectors burn a new chip
i dont know what it adds up to with todays prices but if ya add a few more bucks your rockin XFI
and if you already have the wideband and a 3bar maf its even cheaper(less the price of those parts)

add all those other parts piggybacking off of each other together and see how far away you really end up:D

Just telling my train of thought when I took the plunge