FAST Classic seq

TomShea

Minnesota Grand National & T-Type Association
I am finally getting around to tuning my car. It seems like there has always been something pre-emting this for over 10 years. I'm now at the point where I really don't care. I noticed that the engine seems to like 11.5 to 12.5 A/F idle in park. When I put it in gear it goes up one to two full points in the A/F. This results in the A/F being at 12.5 to 13.5. It wants to stall at much leaner, and the throttle response is not good. I do have both the AE tables starting out at the left hand side of the screen at around 1/2 way up. This is not something I have seen on the few other GCTs I have looked at. It does seem to work and it does not affect the A/F until actuated by either throttle or MAP. I do notice some fuel smoke when idling both in and out of gear. If I lean it out enough to avoid this, the A/F slowly climbs to 15.94/1, so I have no Idea how lean it really is since that is the leanest that this box shows. I am not idling in closed loop. At least not yet. It seems like the A/f at idle is rich and I can smell the unburnt fuel as well as see the smoke, but I can't get it to run well when I lean it out. Maybe there is a physical problem like a sneaky vacuum leak, although I checked and didn't find any. Maybe the 269/264 (218/212@.050) cam and the max ported heads are partially to blame. Fresh engine 274 CID, M&A heads, 84lb injs, FAST classic seq box.

FAST seq classic

I was hoping for some help in the post above. It seems that when I need some information it's hard to come by. There must be others out there that have experienced this. I saw a post by Jack that indicated he has a similar change in A/F between neutral and in gear. If this is uncommon, maybe it has something to do with the cam & heads. This is discouraging. I am considering going to E-85, just to address the rich idle. The smoke would be gone as would be the smell. This is important to me since this is not a race car. I would like to drive it a little on the street and cruise to some shows. It doesn't look good when your car is smoking. The E-85 would lend itself well to rich tuning. It seems to be very forgiving in that aspect. I have been reluctant to consider this since I was concerned about long term E-85 use consequences. If there are any alternative suggestions, I would appreciate a reply.

at 12.5-13.5 you shouldn't have smoke

id check that all cylinders are being fired .... bad injector ,injector wiring or injector driver , spark plug wires , bad plug , bad coil pack .. things that would cause the other cylinders to run richer than the AF you see because they are covering up the 17% lean of a dead cylinder
smoke at idle could also be turbo seals , rings, headgasket, valveseals, intake gasket

here's an AF table i work off and i can assure you there's no smoke at idle with this table and idle is 12.7-13.0 at 850 and i run correction set 700/600rpm

if your correction is on when you put it in gear it should hold the AF in the table . if putting it in gear changes the a/f it could be because you've moved the dot on your AF table to pull partly from an adjacent cell that might be set richer (like the ones above where you idle in park due to a vacuum change under load) ,
when you put it in gear the rmp should go back to what is in your idle vs coolant table unless your iac is faulty or set wrong at the throttle body, if the rpm changes youll be pulling from an adjacent cell horizontally which can have an affect on the target AF

but again smoke at 12.5 A/F you have other issues

A misfire will show random lean spikes. You may have a bad injector, It should not smoke at all at those a/f ratios, I could see smoke about 9.9 a/f ratio. Ive see many a/f corrections between park and gear up to 15% it really depends on the converter and cam. You should be able to run 14.0 a/f at idle nicely.

Put a MAF on it and A TT chip and it will idle@14.7 in gear and in park all day, once in closed loop, and I have a 224 solid roller cam @575 lift 112 cl on 3.8 cu with 8.7 compression. MAF is far superior for sensitivity I find.

I am finally getting around to tuning my car. It seems like there has always been something pre-emting this for over 10 years. I'm now at the point where I really don't care. I noticed that the engine seems to like 11.5 to 12.5 A/F idle in park. When I put it in gear it goes up one to two full points in the A/F. This results in the A/F being at 12.5 to 13.5. It wants to stall at much leaner, and the throttle response is not good. I do have both the AE tables starting out at the left hand side of the screen at around 1/2 way up. This is not something I have seen on the few other GCTs I have looked at. It does seem to work and it does not affect the A/F until actuated by either throttle or MAP. I do notice some fuel smoke when idling both in and out of gear. If I lean it out enough to avoid this, the A/F slowly climbs to 15.94/1, so I have no Idea how lean it really is since that is the leanest that this box shows. I am not idling in closed loop. At least not yet. It seems like the A/f at idle is rich and I can smell the unburnt fuel as well as see the smoke, but I can't get it to run well when I lean it out. Maybe there is a physical problem like a sneaky vacuum leak, although I checked and didn't find any. Maybe the 269/264 (218/212@.050) cam and the max ported heads are partially to blame. Fresh engine 274 CID, M&A heads, 84lb injs, FAST classic seq box.

You definitely have another issue as has been suggested. Putting a MAF and TT chip certainly isn't the route you want to take. :rolleyes: Pull your plugs and they will tell you a relevant story. Are they all black, or is one of them wet? What is your MAP reading at idle?

Your AE tables should start at zero or close to it. that is quite possibly a big factor here but let's examine the plugs first thing.

Craig

Craig Smith trouble shooting

I have tested the coil pack and control module with the casper's tester. John Spina said that there was an EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) problem with some of the testers. I guess I have one of them. I have to use the plug wire method to get the controller away from the assembly in order to deal with this. The pack and module seem to be OK in reference to this. I have systematically clamped off all of the vacuum lines, one by one, to see if there was an improvement in the vacuum reading. At the time it was in the mid 30s KPa. No indication of any difference, with that test. I have had the VE table at idle, (including the adjacent cells and several rows above) all over the range of numbers between 10s and 70s with no percieved difference in the problem. I have varied the AE tables between 0 and aprox 1/2 way up on the left side with various profiles to the right. All of these things, I have done to see if there was any effect on the issue. There seems to be some masking of the problem, but it still exists. The problem I see is that when I set the A/F to a lean number like 13.5 to 14.5 to 1 in neutral at idle it will get leaner when in gear. When this happens it will slowly rise until it hits 15.94 which is it's high or lean limit. I wonder how lean it really would show if it could. I am assuming there is a misfire causing the unburnt fuel to allow the unburnt O2 to give a lean reading. This may seem counter intuitive, but it is an O2 sensor, not a fuel sensor. I am also seeing a miss on throttle tip in, up to about somewhere near or just under 2k rpm. When this happens the A/F shows 15.94 (leanest possible). This also leads me to believe it's a misfire. I don't know why it seems to majically go away at around 16 to 18K rpms and clear out. I do have an MSD, DIS-4 box. I have tried testing with it bypassed as well. No percieved difference. When I drive it, if I try to operate it in the above mentioned RPM area it will sputter and sometimes stall. If I depress the accelerator more rapidly, to bypass the area (16 (idle) to around 22) TPS it will immediately respond, although slightly adbrupt due to the rapid Throttle increase. The TPS moves smoothly with the change in pedal position. What I am seeing is a problem in the idle to around 2k RPM, and idle TPS 16 to around 22 TPS. Logs show max lean and engine misses (runs rough) then when past this area it runs well. I pulled the plugs and they of course show dirty black and wet. I should add that this is the first set of plugs on this build and they have been subject to a lot of improper (too rich) A/F. They are AC 41-602. I will be replacing them with Champion truck plugs 4071. The Champs are a hotter plug. The insulator core is aprox 1/4 deeper. This engine (fresh build) has very little operating time on it. It would be nice if the plug change addressed this issue. I think it will for at least a while. I'm not confident that it will last too long. If anyone has some intelligent suggestions, please don't hesitate to respond. I suppose the plugs could have been fouled early on & then all testing after was subject to some consequences.

engine shows lean and smokes unburnt fuel.

I just cleaned & flowed the injectors to make sure they were OK. With 13/1 A/F at idle in neutral it will go to 15/1 in gear. With richer A/F idle in neutral the difference decreases with the richness proportionately. When I slowly increase the throttle the A/F will go to 15.94 as the engine misses. I see smoke from unburnt fuel. I'm wondering if there is an injector driver problem. Tomorrow I'm going to test this theory with a noid light on each injector lead. One at a time to see if they are firing when the throttle is slowly increased to cause this missing. If they all test good then I'll have to come up with another test. I don't know how this explains the unburnt fuel and smoke, but I'm going to try it anyways. The thing I keep comming back to is the problem clears up when it gets past the low RPM range near 2k and over about 22 TPS. The engine idles at around 1k and 16TPS. This is a transitional issue. It seems like it's also partially present at idle since when I get it in the mid low to mid 15/1 A/F range in gear it will slowly creep up to 15.94 (Max Lean). I wonder if there is a driver or 2 statring to go out, and having some random misfires. It seems like it is running on all 6 at idle, but I suppose a random misfire is possible. I am still assuming the misfire is either too much fuel in the charge that wets the plug casuing it to misfire or the plug not firing at all. I'm not sure how to test for this. The noid light test won't do it. I guess I'll have to borrow someone's FAST box and try to eliminate or confirm my box as the issue.

let closed loop tell you what the car wants for ve numbers

if the smoke truly is from unburned fuel,defaulting to batch fire should increase the smoke...
also, it seems on my xfi the floaty ball is not in the same spot/same cells on the ve table in gear as compared to at idle due to engine load changes...maybe enable closed loop idle and create a box of cells to contain your desired a/f ratio at both in gear and idle...then trim ve numbers to minimize correction... then go back to open loop if you so desire... that should at least let you know if the base ve table numbers are that far off to maintain the desired afr
-dan

Tom,
I might have missed it in an earlier post, but how much idle timing do you have and have you verified your baseline timing with a timing light? could be that your timing is low and also 4 deg low if you have a BHJ... increased timing will help you burn of idle fuel. i'm not sure of M&A heads and their timing tolerances at low load.
Also, double check your timing adjustment tables and idle and check your idle threshold tolerances.
I typically tune to 12.75-13.25 at idle in park and usually see that jump to high 13's/low 14's in gear which is fine. I don't get your a/f creep.. does it consistently do this? and have you tried to fatten it up in gear against the creep?
Your cam is smallist (no offense), so I wouldn't think twice about it being an issue with the max porting.
The last consideration I would think is to switch WB02's. You can do the option file from fast for $25 or something like that and buy a new bosch sensor. I've seen WB02's do funky things and cause ECU's to dump fuel, in your case, read richer than it is.. and then super lean at the 15.94... you can unhook your WB02 and read the O2 specs to make sure the ECU is still reading right.

Classic FAST tuning

I have resigned myself to living with this compromise until such time as I am able to try something different. I have the VE table split at idle. The next lower row is much leaner and the next higher rows are much richer. This enables me to traverse them at the 15.94 A/F without the engine miss. There is still some hesitation but I guess I'll live with it for now. The leanest A/F in neutral at idle is around 12.25+/1. That goes to around 14+/1 in gear. Any leaner and the engine will stumble & miss on slow throttle increase, in gear. Simulated driving. There is some black fuel smoke after a throttle blip, (engine rev & back down) but not constant at idle. There is no smoke from engine or turbo since they are fresh. I have the AE tables starting at the lower left corners, since it doesn't seem to make much difference. I'll try to massage the AE tables to address the smoking. I am still looking for suggestions. Thanks Dan (Northern GN) for the suggestions, but they aren't applicable with my "ClassicBox".

Classic FAST tuning

I should clarify the reference to Northern GN's suggestion of trying Bank to bank setting. Mine is seq and even though the options are in the page, the selection is locked on sequential.

Batch fire injectors

The only way I know to use batch would be a DFI gen 6 box or disconnecting the cam sensor after starting. I'm not sure I want to try either. What would the purpose of this test be? what would I be able to determine? Is there something I am missing? If it smokes even more, what does that prove or dis prove?

Hi Tom, how is the voltage holding up at idle. I had a cable between the alternator and battery on a Turbo Regal that had excessive resistance so the voltage at idle was low. Played heck by adding fuel at idle trying to make up for slower opening time.

Also look at your injector opening time factor in the Global Setup Parameters. With bigger injectors this number should be smaller. For instance if this number is 1 ms and the injector pulse time is 2.4 ms at idle it adds a lot of fuel. I set this number smaller.

Finally make sure for the ATS and CTS correction table, make sure these are at zero for the temperature your engine is idling.

Just some thoughts

This is it

I think that my old befuddled mind remembers that I had same or similar issues in the past. I think I just resigned myself to the percieved limitations of the system back then. I think that's what I'll do now. I appreciate all of the efforts for the input from fellow board users. Thanks especially to Lloyd Bonecutter for taking the time away from his duties with the club. We look forward to getting your newsletters. I wonder if Craig Smith is the Craig Smith who services these units? In conclusion I think I will be running what the engine likes in gear at idle and live with the richer than desired A/F in neutral. I will continue to split the VE at the elipse to try to get the best compromise. I will tune for the leanest AE I can get away with in both tables. If there is some smoke at times, so be it. If I come up with something that is worth mentioning, I'll post it. This is the beginning of an era that I hope to be able to spend some time tinkering with my tune, without additional complications from other mechanical problems. Now all I have to do is be able to carve out a few chunks of time to play, weather permitting.

Tom,

I don't know if the classic box's allow you to re-scale the ve table..... but we had an instance on an XFI car..... that the lowest kPA (on the left side of the VE table) was like 40...... so the car idled with the "bubble" in the bottom left cell all the time.......I'm going to assume that in neutral... the car idles at a higher vacuum than in gear....?? We re-scaled our VE table to have some cells below and to the left of "the bubble" when idling in gear...... this gives much better resolution when trying to tune the idle.... in gear and out of gear......

Forgive me for not being more familiar with the older boxes.....

HTH

The Classic box does not have variable scaling, nor does it give you the option to switch to B2B. Unhooking the cam sensor won't force it either. I am on the west coast, but will try and assist you when I return.

The Classic box does not have variable scaling, nor does it give you the option to switch to B2B. Unhooking the cam sensor won't force it either. I am on the west coast, but will try and assist you when I return.

I knew the scaling was different....and knew you couldn't just click on the number and make it whatever you wanted.... but didn't realize you couldn't mess with it at all......

FWIW, the ability to rescale any point on these different maps inside the XFI software.... is a cool feature IMHO and works well.

Tom Shea FAST Classic Sequential

To clarify things a little. I am not running in closed loop at idle. I am going to try that to see if it will adjust the A/F leaner when in neutral as opposed to in gear. I had the closed loop set to come on at 3500 to cover me with full throttle, high boost & RPM blasts. I thought I would have better control and less variables at least at first with open as opposed to closed loop. I thought the box would be correcting while I was making changes and that would be counter productive. I see now that I'll have to keep that in mind and use it properly as a tool to my best advantage. I think initial VE for A/F set up can be achieved well in open loop, (idle in gear A/F) but once that is established, then maybe closed loop after that for issues like this. I'll leave the VE table as it is for now, with larger numbers above and to the right of idle. I think I'll stay with trying to avoid leaner than around 14 to 14.5 to 1 when idling in gear. This seems to help avoid the rough runing and missing upon slow throttle increase, that can happen at leaner settings. This is always accompanied by a 15.94 A/F reading as the elipse traverses the adjacent cells above and slightly to the right of idle. I suppose it's possible that the closed loop could help there as well, depending on how rapidly it actually responds. I will have to try this and then report back on how it works. I probably have the AE set too agressive in hopes of countering the lean out on throttle tip in. This did not help. It seems like the AE is just a little too slow, even on slow throttle increase to help. I will be trying to modify this to leaner profiles to see if it was causing the smoke. The smoke did seem to be present mostly after a slight throttle increase and reduction. I was constantly doing this to duplicate the condition of lean out during slow throttle tip in. The thing I observed mostly was that it occurred between idle which is at around 1k and up to about 2k, and then cleared out. The TPS at idle is 16 and around 22 when it starts to get better. I may have been handicapping myself with the open loop idle all along. I'll keep this thread posted on my results.