Fan?

OTHRWMN

Detroit Lions Fan!!!
What would cause my fan to come on after I turn the car off? It will run for as long as 20 minutes. I am concerned with it killing my battery and eventually my alternator.

Thanks

Maybe some moisture on the relay. Mine has done it from time to time.......then not do it anymore. Some will recommend buying a new relay.......can't hurt, but I never did.

The fan delay relay does that. It's the biggest one on the drivers side fender under the hood. Some of us have disconnected this relay to eliminate the possibility of the fan coming on in the middle of the night & killing the battery.

Quote from John Spina: "The purpose of the relay is to allow the coolant fan to run for five to ten minutes AFTER the car is shut off ONLY if the coolant temperature rises above 226 degrees F.
This helps the engine cool down, when you leave the vehicle, under extreme conditions such as use of the air conditioner in heavy traffic during very hot days."
He goes on to say: "Personally, I would disconnect this relay & leave it out of the car completely. Since we all use 160 degree thermostats and most of us have good radiators, the effectiveness of this relay is minimal and not worth the outside chance that it might kill your battery or adversely affect your electrical system when it fails."

Mine has been unplugged for over a year now. HTH:)

OK, quick question. Can you just unplug it, or will this affect the normal operation of the fan? Mine seems to act up every Summer. It's kind of expensive to replace every year if I don't need it. It killed my battery yesterday. I have a short ride to work, so little time to charge the battery, and it was getting weaker and weaker, until I left the door open too long while working on it yesterday. TIA.

Brian