Fan Motor Relays need part #'s.

miked

Changed the large fan Delay relay. Would like to change both the High and the low relays. They look like they are not in good shape. Can someone give me the part numbers? Thanks guys!!!! Mike D.

You don't actually need the delay relays, you can just leave them unplugged. My GN would run the battery down but the fans have never ran on it after cutting off the engine..its been unplugged now for years.
My TTA started not cutting the fans off after engine shut down..they are now unplugged.

Whats not in good shape about them? Is it the black tar on the connectors? That crap can be cleaned off with a bristle brush and ronsonol lighter fluid...a blowgun helps alot as well. Best to just unbolt the relays from the firewall, unplug them and clean the hell out of all the pins and sockets. My fans didnt work so great before, and now they do. Plus my delay box circuitry is all rusted up and it doesnt work anymore. I didnt unplug it though. Everything still works ok with it plugged in. It just doesnt keep the fan running after I shut down.

Go to GNTYPE.ORG & look up part numbers. You will find every number you need & can keep the page for later use along with the torque sheet, spring cleaning etc etc etc. Cheers!

2QUIK6 said:
The tar like stuff is supposed to be there to keep out moisture and prevent corrosion.
part#s are here http://gnttype.org/numbers/8687pn.html
Do an experiment, and spread some roofing tar into your MAF connector and see how well it works. The original goo was fine 20 years ago. It basically started out as dielectric grease. But what it turns into after 20 years is NOT good. That crap turns to tar and creeps into all the pins and sockets, killing all the connections, causing the relays to not work properly, and causing a huge voltage drop to the fans. My high speed fan used to barely work...low speed was even worse. After getting all the connections sparkling clean, everything works as it should.
Gaskets also keep out moisture and seal things up, but after 20 years, they dont really serve their original purpose.
Do it right and get all that crap out.