Failed Emissions, Please Help

TTA579

Danger! High Voltage!
As the title suggests, I've failed California emissions.

I've attached an image on the offending numbers. You can see that it failed the HC count, and passed everything else with flying colors?

Emissions-3-2-12-XL.jpg

I'm hoping for some help on how to fix this so I can finally drive this car legally! :D

Help!

It looks like your cat is marginal and probably not up to operating temp at the 15 MPH test point. Is it the OEM cat or have you replaced it?

Neal

A fresh Cat covers a lot of sins & will certainty help but the other readings aren't that far off. I have run into problems with 160 thermostats not allowing the engine to warm up enough & the H.C readings are effected. I wonder if that's a problem in this case.

The catalytic converter is not original. It was replaced by the original owner at some unknown date. As such, I can't speak to it's effectiveness.

I don't know what the thermostat in the car is rated for, I don't believe that the previous owner modified the car except for the exhaust as indicated.

The technician suggested a regular "tune-up" might be enough to resolve the issue. Thoughts?

Thoughts, huh?
My thoughts are that you should give Lou a call & get your car in to see him.

The catalytic converter is not original. It was replaced by the original owner at some unknown date. As such, I can't speak to it's effectiveness.

I don't know what the thermostat in the car is rated for, I don't believe that the previous owner modified the car except for the exhaust as indicated.

The technician suggested a regular "tune-up" might be enough to resolve the issue. Thoughts?
Ask the technician what his definition of a tune up is on a computer controlled car. The only thing to change is a set of plugs & fuel filter which I doubt are the problem. If it has an aftermarket cat it isn't the same as the original & they don't last as long. I think Neal suggestion of replacing it makes more sense but only after all else which is a multitude of possibility's are verified to be in proper working order.

Thanks Lou, I really do appreciate your offer to help and I will take you up on that. I'm sure the technician didn't know much about these engines.

The car passed smog yesterday after having the cat replaced (new Magnaflow 36005); oil, trans and diff were also serviced.. It was damaged and the element, while still inside the cat, was displaced. I think the previous (original) owner had a difficult driveway or something. You should see my crossover pipe, it's flat on the bottom.

New numbers are 80/43. (Yes, this is marginally passing. I will continue to work on the car.) CO measured 0.03%/0%, NO measured 0/0. It may have about a 1/4 tank of denatured (old) gas in a 3/4 full tank.

FYI: All fuel system components (filter, injectors, regulator) have been replaced with new stock equivalents with the exception of the fuel pump, which is a racetronix upgrade. Fuel pressure reads good. All new vacuum lines. New MAP. New delphi spark plug wires. IAC was replaced. TPS and IAC were properly adjusted. Scanmaster shows INT: ~128, BLM: 120.

Thats good news, If they tighten the standards anymore the older cars will be legislated off the road. Unless a miracle happens & the liberals get kicked out of office GN's & other muscle cares will be wind up in museums or crushed.