Factory Security System

pontiac69fb

I just recently put a bulb in for my security system light, and I think I know why the previous owner took the bulb out... The damn security light will not stop flashing, even with the door shut. Has anyone had this same issue? Also where is the factory security system module located?

Thx in advance for the help
Ted

Check the door jamb switches light blue wires for shorts to ground.

Wires can break off there and short out to ground, same with the tamper switch on the trunk lock, it's a light blue wire with black stripe at the lock assembly.

Drivers side is a tan wire there for the alarm switch contact output.

Also if the trunk and two door lock tamper switches are messed up and shorted to ground it will cause a ground on that light blue wire.

With both doors closed and door pin switches pushed in or off, (if you have them out for checking), there should be no ground reading with an ohm meter between the tan wire or light blue wire depending at which door pin switch you are testing to a good metal ground. This is a resistance check KEY OFF with an OHMMETER on the X1 scale.

If all reads correctly it may be the controller, a search of the board may give you the controllers location, I personally don't give it out.

Problem does not appear to be with the door pin switches. Because when the battery cable is originally connected the security light is out the security light comes on and flashes once I open the door. The door lock switches will not disable the alarm, when the ignition is turned on the security light will go off. But when just the ignition is off the security light will flash. The problem was discovered when the dash was removed, and I noticed the security light connector was hanging loose with no bulb. I'm looking for the security module so that I can ground pin H.

What happens when you try to arm the system with the power door locks, drivers door open, IGN off, flashing security light needed for arming.

Do you get a steady on security light with door open, and what happens when you close it?

Problem does not appear to be with the door pin switches. Because when the battery cable is originally connected the security light is out the security light comes on and flashes once I open the door. The door lock switches will not disable the alarm, when the ignition is turned on the security light will go off. But when just the ignition is off the security light will flash. The problem was discovered when the dash was removed, and I noticed the security light connector was hanging loose with no bulb. I'm looking for the security module so that I can ground pin H.

The security module under the dash behind the headlight switch.

Update

I would like to thank you guys for the replies. After pulling out about 90% of my dash the problem ended up being my trunk lock switch. My factory alarm now works flawlessly with no issues once again thx.

Ted

replacement remote

Any idea on where to get a replacement remote for the factory alarm ?

My button is all cracked on mine...

It's better to PM a message like that instead of letting everyone know how to disable the system.

I wouldn't sweat it. These are 20 year old cars with a 40 year old system in it. Any punk kid could figure it out. Just remove the theft decal from the window to slow them down a couple of seconds.

To give you an idea of how easy it is to defeat the factory system. I've locked my keys in the GN a few times. I can slip a coat hangar in between the window and roof and push the power lock switch to unlock and disarm the system. Now if I was a punk kid all I'd have to do is punch the column and drive away. All the better reason to have hidden cut off switches and maybe a cloumn guard on your car.

I wouldn't sweat it. These are 20 year old cars with a 40 year old system in it. Any punk kid could figure it out. Just remove the theft decal from the window to slow them down a couple of seconds.

To give you an idea of how easy it is to defeat the factory system. I've locked my keys in the GN a few times. I can slip a coat hangar in between the window and roof and push the power lock switch to unlock and disarm the system. Now if I was a punk kid all I'd have to do is punch the column and drive away. All the better reason to have hidden cut off switches and maybe a cloumn guard on your car.

Plus all the information is in publicly available literature.

The factory alarm didn't have a remote.

wow. All these years i thought it was a factory alarm.
It has the GM window stickers on the side windows that say something to the effect that the vehicle is procteted by a factory installed alarm system.

I snapped a pic of where my alarm siren is, does this look familiar to anyone ?
I could make out a very faded and worn AudioVox on the bottom of it.

Snapped a pic of the remote too

Attachments

• alarm1.GIF
    alarm1.GIF
    40.1 KB · Views: 283
  • remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 269
wow. All these years i thought it was a factory alarm.
It has the GM window stickers on the side windows that say something to the effect that the vehicle is procteted by a factory installed alarm system.

I snapped a pic of where my alarm siren is, does this look familiar to anyone ?
I could make out a very faded and worn AudioVox on the bottom of it.

Snapped a pic of the remote too

It's not factory. The factory alarm also didn't have a siren. It honked the horn and flashed headlights.

Now I did read somewhere that a remote module from a later module GM car could be integrated into the factor system.

Did all GN's have a factory alarm? If so, how does it work? My '86 had the flashing "security" light, so I just took out the bulb.

Nope it was an option. And it required power locks armed through the power lock disarmed through the lock cylinder.