Factory replacement?

granitestategn

Gettin' there
Sorry if this question has been asked before...I tried a few searches and it's just not bringing up the info I'm looking for. I would like to find a GM factory DIN-and-a-half replacement radio/cassette/CD and possibly equilizer that will fit in the original slot and look factory and sound good. I saw one at the NEBRA picnic in a GN that looked like it could have been original, but it wasn't. The owner said it came out of a later Buick Roadmaster. It was a radio/cassette/CD/equilizer unit. What year ranges and models would've come with the correct size audio systems and will work with a GN. I know some of the later stereos might not be compatible. I would like something with the correct color lighting, not orange or red. Anybody have a model and year range for Delco replacements? TIA!

I can't think of the specific applications, but they were also in several GM vehicles. There always seems to be one or two for sale on ebay... just look under Grand National parts. Another alternative is to have the radio modified to accept a MP3/Ipod type f player. Mine has a cable that comes out of the back of the player that plugs into the headphone jack. I sent my AM/F?Cassette/EQ to a guy in Utah. Cost like $50 and he replaced all the panel lights as well.

Monsoon out of an 02 camaro looks almost stock. Decent sound and power as well.

There are lots of choices. At some point you may need an adapter harness to go from the 12 pin to the new 21 pin.
regal_20090406_004_170.jpg

Hey Gregg,
Was it mine that you saw a the NEBRA BBQ ? If so, it's just a CD with EQ no cassette. I used the stock radio knobs to make it more stock appearing.;)

100_3960b.jpg

radio.jpg

Keep an eye on ebay as they come up for sale regularly. Not cheap.:eek:

Here is one with IPod plug.
GM 5EQ CD RADIO PLAYER IPOD-MP3 87 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL - eBay (item 190340617143 end time Oct-18-09 19:32:49 PDT)

Here is one without the EQ.
MINT GM Buick Grand National SYCLONE GN CD PLAYER RADIO - eBay (item 180417100244 end time Oct-17-09 17:44:48 PDT)

HTH

Matt

I have the same unit as RI-Matt, bought it on eBay and I believe the same guy in the links he posted. I'm happy with mine.

Stereo

Hey Gregg,
Was it mine that you saw a the NEBRA BBQ ? If so, it's just a CD with EQ no cassette. I used the stock radio knobs to make it more stock appearing.;)

HTH

Matt

Hi Matt,

Nope, not your. It was in Claude's car. He didn't remember what it came out of exactly. Your's is about the right vintage, though. I like the more modern Monsoon's but they don't look "old" enough for the look I'm going for. His had AM/FM/Cassette/CD/EQ and it looked like it could've come with the car...but it didn't. I do like the GNX dash in your car. Those are sweet.

Hi Matt,

Nope, not your. It was in Claude's car. He didn't remember what it came out of exactly. Your's is about the right vintage, though. I like the more modern Monsoon's but they don't look "old" enough for the look I'm going for. His had AM/FM/Cassette/CD/EQ and it looked like it could've come with the car...but it didn't. I do like the GNX dash in your car. Those are sweet.

Gregg, you may want to ask Claude, but I am 99.9999% sure his and mine are the exact same. No cassette. Only difference is I used the stock knobs and he still has the ones that came with the radio.
I don't think GM ever made one with both CD and cassette in a DIN+1/2.

Check out this thread. Claude's is post #19
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/294376-radio-show-me-your-setup.html

Matt

correctamundo!

Matt,

You're right. I thought Claude's unit had cassette, also. My mistake. I wonder if they ever made an AM/FM/cassette/CD/EQ unit? Probably not. I have a JVC AM/FM/cassette w/ remote 12-disc changer that I bought a couple years ago and never installed. It should fit the bill bit it won't look as factory as yours and Claude's. No EQ either. I still need to get an additional amp for it.

Gregg, you could always just get a the factory cassette radio with EQ and hook up a FM modulator CD changer. That way you keep the factory look and have your cassettes and cd player capabilities.

I chose just a cd player because all my cassettes are boxed up along with my 8 tracks. :D

Matt

FM Modulated

I have a JVC 12-disk in my truck using the FM modulator. I'm not very happy with the sound but I'm not sure the modualtor is to blame. The JVC deck I have is compatible with the remote 12-disk so iw was going to use it. I believe there's a special cable used to connect the two. I need to look into it more. My factory AM/FM/cassette deck is on the fritz. The cassette doesn't work all the time.

Mark, do you have a list of radios for your junkyard parts list? I dont remember seeing any radios on that list...