Factory Radio Delete

turbotony1

Hi. I purchased my 87 T about 4 years ago. I bought it from the original owner who was in her 70's when she sold it to me. Her son told me the car was ordered by a guy who wanted to race it. He ordered it from the dealer with as little options as possible. The only options I know of are rear defrost, air conditioning and spare tire kit. The guy backed out of the deal when the car arrived at the dealership. The lady that I bought it from had the dealership instal an am/fm AC Delco radio and two front dashboard speakers before she drove it home. She said that they gave her a bunch of stuff when she bought the car. She never found all of the paperwork and doesn't remember if they had given her the block off plate for the radio or not!

I've heard that these cars came with radio delete plates over where the radio was supposed to be. If that is true, I would love to know what the ORIGINAL plate looked like!

Any pictures?
Where can I find one?
Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks!
Anthony

fyi the one it the pic may not be correct for 87. I believe the 87 delete plate was all in black.

BTW, you can check the rpo tag to make sure your car is in fact a radio delete. Other signs would be not having the factory connectors on the rear speakers or the rear speaker wire rolled up behind the glovebox. My car had factory dash speakers and so did my friend's 82 camaro. They are both radio delete cars.

The rpo code is UL5 for radio delete (front speakers not deleted, but the wires are not connected). I just checked one of my cars and as I thought, it is a radio delete car.

BTW, you can check the rpo tag to make sure your car is in fact a radio delete. Other signs would be not having the factory connectors on the rear speakers or the rear speaker wire rolled up behind the glovebox. My car had factory dash speakers and so did my friend's 82 camaro. They are both radio delete cars.

Actually, the car didn't even have rear speakers when I got it. I had to buy em and run new wire.

I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of these plates at a swap meet or something. I think I've exhausted every internet source out there!!:mad:

Thanks for the help guys. Interesting replies.
Anthony

Actually, the car didn't even have rear speakers when I got it. I had to buy em and run new wire.

I have had a few radio delete cars & have never had wiring for the speakers. They all did have radio delete & a power antenna. I have a 71K mile we-4 here that is radio delete as well. They all had power antenna options.

I have 2 nos radio delete plates here but can't get myself to destroy a NOS plate to get one copied. Looks pretty easy flat aluminum on a thin piece of steel. The over lay is easy enough.

If any one has a used one they want to sell for the cause let me know. I'll make new units.

It's funny, radio delete plates sell for enough to BUY a radio:rolleyes: I just can't see paying the premium for a radio delete plate just so I don't have a radio. Yeah, it would be nice to have it since it was the only thing I didn't have as far as original parts go, but I would rather have some tunes:cool:

Maybe GM still makes the plate for a new car with a similar sized opening? Go to your local dealer and look at all the cars on the lot until you find one. then talk to the parts counter guy and see if they sell the plate for it.

Iv'e had and seen quite afew delete plates and they all have had that thin boarder on them. Never heard of or seen one without it. ?? In fact a good friend of mine here had an all original low mile 87 with radio delete and the plate had the boarder on it.

Maybe GM still makes the plate for a new car with a similar sized opening? Go to your local dealer and look at all the cars on the lot until you find one. then talk to the parts counter guy and see if they sell the plate for it.

Most if not all new gm vehicles come with factory cd players with input jacks. My money would be placed on that all of them do actually. They've discontinued tape decks for the last few years now. I doubt they would even bother on offering two different stereos, let alone a delete option. That probably went away after the third gen fbody 1LE cars.