Factory Astro Roof Question

russgill

Had my shade open and noticed the on either side at the front (where two of the Phillips screws are) of the plastic molding are pretty well cracked. It appears that by removing those 2 screws and 2 more across the front of the plastic that these could be removed (it appears to be a 2 piece molding).

However I have spent enough time to know that appearing and it being fact always seem to be 2 different situations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I beleive it is a one piece molding...mine has a slight crack also on the driver side...good luck looking for a replacement, I've been looking for about a year and the ones that I found are way out of my price range..

Definitely 2 pieces, might have been one at some point, does look like it might have been sawed in half.

I have some stuff called Plast Aid, that you can mix color in and fill cracks, make parts, fix sprinkler pipes, etc. I believe once I get it out that I can bring it back to life using it.

Did you try and take your out?

Thanks

Agree One Piece

I beleive it is a one piece molding...mine has a slight crack also on the driver side...good luck looking for a replacement, I've been looking for about a year and the ones that I found are way out of my price range..

IT IS ONE PIECE. I INSTALLED A FACTORY ASTRO ROOF ON MY CAR , I USED THE "ROOF OUTER SKIN ONLY. THE ASTRO ROOF PLASTIC SURROUND MLD IS ONE PIECE,YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK LOCAL (U-PULL IT) YARDS, PAY ATTENTION TO CAD ELDO(FWD) BUICK RIVERA,OLDS TORONADO, AND OTHER G BODYS. GM USED THE SAME ASTRO ROOF ASSEMBLY,YOU MAY LUCK INTO ONE..GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH.

1987 Gm Buick Olds Cadillac Body Factory Service Manual

Just order one of the body manuals and we'll see what we can find out.

Russ

There is also one screw at the back in the middle at an angle. Mine actually was missing when I took it out to replace the headliner material, must have fell out years ago. PITA to get out in one piece. Have to go slow and gently move the sunroof back in small increments as you work the plastic piece forward. Very tight but it can be done, I know others that have also done it this way.

I guess that is way mine is now 2 pieces, they must have had it out at one time. It was for sure cut in half, so I have a right side and a left side. I am worred about opening the roof to get to the screws as it does not leak now, but not sure what will happen if I do open it.

Thanks
Russ