F/S: 12" Wilwood Frt Brake + Tall Spindle Set-up

turbohh

I have upgraded my front brakes to a Baer 13" T4 system to match the rear 13" brakes, so... I'm selling the 79-81 Camaro big-bearing, tall spindle 12" rotor set-up I took off using the lightweight Wilwood GMIII calipers. The spindles are casting numbers 369055-LH & 369056-RH, have been powder coated gloss black (I touched up the coating near the lower ball joints from removal hammer marks with VHT caliper paint), the backing plates are clear powder coated (have some marks in the coating from lower control arm), the Wilwood calipers were hand painted with Por-15 black engine paint (the paint shows wear from various usage issues). I took everything apart, cleaned as best I could, had the rotors turned, repacked the wheel bearings with good grease, installed new anti-squeal pads on the EBC Yellow-Stuff D45 brake pads, and re-lubed the caliper slides, so these parts should be ready to go. The rotors measured at .990" and .980", with a min thickness of 24.5mm=.964", so they have life left in them. They also use the correct metric stud for later GM applications. I will also include the braided brake lines and adapter fitting to tie into the factory hard lines. Since these are tall spindles, you will need to get the correct upper control arm from Global West, Hotchkis, BMR etc. Also, due to the extra height of the bridge on the Wilwood calipers (which are the street version with the rubber isolator so they won't rattle on the pins), these calipers will not fit a 15" wheel. I used them with my 16" GNX wheel and my 17" KMC Hot Wheels. The only issue with this set up was the EBC pads, they worked great, but they are dusty and squeal a bunch without some form of isolation. You might consider putting in a more street friendly pad (any Camaro D45 pad will work) before you install this package. You will get everything pictured below for a R&R install. I'm asking $300 OBO plus shipping, and I'll eat the PayPal fees. Best to PM me with questions or get my PayPa addy. Have the stuff boxed up ready for shipment via FedEx. Thanks for looking.
John A, Turbohh

Set-up installed prior to removal and clean-up:
GN_WWD_01.jpg

GN_WWD_04.jpg

GN_WWD_03.jpg

GN_WWD_06.jpg

GN_WWD_05.jpg

Lines and adapter fittings:
GN_WWD_02.jpg

Interested in getting them.
Do they push the wheel out or in?
Did you have any bump steer issues?

Re: Wilwoods...

I used this set up with Global West Upper & Lower Tubular arms, their "Negative Roll" kit, so I didn't have any serious bump steer issues. As to the in or out, I didn't do before and after measurements, but I believe the F-body spindle moves stuff out some. Whatever the amount, it wasn't very much and I didn't lose any turning radius or have any rubbing issues. I changed out my body bushings to polyurethanes before I did this conversion, so that may have helped. My front suspension sat at 25-7/8" inches and I have 245/45-17 tires on the front. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
John A, Turbohh

baer

John,

I have the tall spindle setup (LS1) with Global West Uppers and Camero
calipers. Do you think I could swap all but the spindles?

Thanks,
DGC
dgcovell@comcast.net

Sorry, I am not sure about the LS1 spindle details. And by Camaro calipers, I'm guessing you mean late-model LS1 calipers?? Maybe some kind soul reading this could advise us all, or you could post your question in the brake section or PM jdpolzin or Rick Elam (White-T, I think) at Baer and pick his brains (look in the Baer sticky in the advertiser/vendor forum for his screen name). Sorry, I'm just not up to speed on post-81 fitments.
John A, Turbohh

Just in case ....

I misinterpreted your question, these Wilwood GMIII calipers should fit wherever the large-bore GM iron caliper fits (D-52 I think, not D-45 as I described above -74-up A-body, 94-96 B-Body, and the 79-up Camaro). They do have a taller height profile I think, and would not fit under my 15" GN wheel. I did see that they fit under some 15" circle-track type wheels. These calipers are the large diameter piston (2.75" I think) and are for the thinner 1" rotor, not the 1LE Camaro 1.25" rotor. HTH.
John A, Turbohh