F-body radiator

black84

I installed an f-body radiator approximately 5 months ago and had to take out the oil lines that go from the radiator to the motor due to the radiator not having a motor oil cooling system. Ever since I chaged out the radiator the transmission has trouble shifting. I run my motor on the filter alone and have no oil cooling system for it. Now the question, how do the lines from the transmission go connected to the radiator? I think that I might have connected them wrong and its not circulating correctly. Any help greatly appreciated. :confused:

was it a used rad? that might be your problem connecting oil lines wrong will only let oil cool less. in my opinion the stock rad does a very good job with a modern core in it. mine never goes above 180 with ac on :cool:

No, brand new rad. My temperature in my scan master never goes over 173. I just think for some reason that I might have connected the trans lines wrong and that's why my trans sometimes has trouble shifting. Anyone else have any ideas?:confused:

your problem is not related to rad change. what else was changed at this time? color of oil? smell burnt? tv cable out of adjustment

when you readjusted the tranny lines to fit to the radiator did you kink anything? i had to do some crazy adapting to get one of the lines to fit and one of the bends kept trying to kink up on me.

Try changing your trans oil and filter. Put in some F fluid. Then install an external trans cooler.......skip the F-body trans cooler. A Permacool dual pass that would accomodate both your transmission oil and engine oil would be better yet. Good luck!

Attachments

• parts 4 sale 008.jpg
    parts 4 sale 008.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 236
Thanks for all the help guys. Red T will all my oil lines (motor/trans) hook up to the oil cooler or will I have to buy new lines? Thanks again.. Andy

One other thing Red Regal T, do you have a part number and do you know where I could get this item.

Summit, jegs or any local speed shop will carry a tranny cooler like that. you will have to adapt some fittings to work. just take down one of those short pieces that attached to the stock radiator and bring whatever cooler you buy and figure out what all you need to adapt too. then have a local shop make you up some nice teflon lines flexible hose.

napa and advance both do it here.

I have this unit on my Red 87 T. I had new oil lines made up with the proper ends. The cooler ends are 3/8" NPT. The cooler is located in front of my radiator so the lines had to be around a foot longer. Cost me $45 to have new oil lines made up using the original fittings from the engine side and new 3/8 NPT for the cooler. For the Trans lines, just get a 3/8" NPT fitting with a 3/8" nipple and clamp it. I believe the part # is 3315 and got it from Summit.

Attachments

• parts 4 sale 007.jpg
    parts 4 sale 007.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 155
Just remembered..........for connecting the engine oil lines to the cooler, I had AN female fittings, can't remember what number AN, put on the end of the hose. For the cooler I bought AN nipple to accept the line, and the other side of the nipple is the 3/8" npt male that screws into the cooler. Any shop that makes up hydraulic hoses can fix you up. ;)