Extrude-hone

mec108

Has any one ever had there turbine/compressor housing or wheel extrude-hone? And, If so what did you gain if anything. thanks

extrude honing a compressor/turbine wheels doesnt make any sense. now the housing i can see but i doubt any signifigant gain would be seen unless it was really crusty in there with a bunch of sharp edges and what not.

Extrude- hone

It did'nt make sense to me also. Then, I reviewed there web site www.extrudehone.com and it started making sense. The thing that caught my attention was the way that , They explained there process and the benifits of it. And turbochargers and impellers, was one of there applications. NOW FOR THE TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR QUESTION. Can we benefit from this type of technology? I myself do'nt know? And, I was hoping for more CONCRETE FEED BACK. Not THEORIES OR SELL'S PITCH.

I'm surprised you didn't get more feedback on this topic. I know T-netics used to get alot of housings honed for customers, turbine and comp. I even saw one customers turbo apart where he had the wheels honed also. If memory serves me correctly, the customers with the housings honed gained a little better air flow, which intern gave them a few more ponies, but not much. Honing the wheels didn't seem to improve anything but looks. The honed pieces sure did look good and I guess they made the parts easier to clean, too. I don't think they improved performance enough to justify cost, from what the customers said.

??

I can understand how it will help an intake manifold, or the intake/exhaust passages in a cyllinder head. But it seems to me that if opening up the clearance between a turbo impeller and the rotor IMPROVED things, then the turbo would work better and better, the older it gets. I believe that the turbo works better when the wheel just barely clears the housing. Besides, you can get to the inside of the housing to polish it, without using an expensive process. And I wouldn't want to take much material off the blades, either. That leaves only the exhaust and intake portions of the turbo.. Are they bad enough that this would be worth the money??