External wastegate/ downpipe with o2 bung?

Grand_87_national

I lika... do da cha cha.
Hello, all. Considering switching to an external wastegate setup. What are the proven systems, and, does anyone offer one with a o2 bung already installed? I currently have a g-body parts 3" downpipe with stock manifolds, but I may switch to aftermarket headers one of these days. Thanks in advance.

TIAL, HKS and GREDDY are proven WG's that also offer various springs. I have never heard of or even seen a WG that has a 02 sensor bung for the simple fact that the reading will be off.

It's
TIAL, HKS and GREDDY are proven WG's that also offer various springs. I have never heard of or even seen a WG that has a 02 sensor bung for the simple fact that the reading will be off.
O2 bung is for my wideband gauge, I assumed some downpipes may already have them installed, since it's a fairly common gauge. Mine is about 5" downstream from my turbo... per the Autometer instructions.

I probably wasn't clear, but I'd like to swap my current internal wastegate downpipe out for an external gate and downpipe combo. Just wondering if there are fitment or quality issues with the current ones offered.

I probably wasn't clear, but I'd like to swap my current internal wastegate downpipe out for an external gate and downpipe combo. Just wondering if there are fitment or quality issues with the current ones offered.

Two different monkey's. Can you share pictures of the current ones offered? Internal WG's are part of the turbine housing yet external can be placed before or at the turbine. I always used manual or electronic boost controllers as well as WG springs.

Last edited:
Can you share pictures of the ones offered? Internal WG's are part of the turbine housing.
Mine is internal.... I have a puck covering the bypass hole on my turbine housing that is moved by an arm that is connected to a rod running to the actuator.

These external examples, instead run a separate pipe from the bypass hole on the turbine housing, through a wastegate, then back into the exhaust stream. The top pic is gn1performance.com and the bottom is from tr custom parts off this forum. Thanks!
3DPW 46mmGate-1.jpg
down_pipe13.jpg

Got this Dp from a friend but we dont know the maker, I believe it to be an ESP from pics I have seen of one for sale on ebay used. I need to replace the wastegate on this one.

Attachments

• 1475344026707-460604221.jpg
    1475344026707-460604221.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 1475344083065-928312489.jpg
    1475344083065-928312489.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 105
I am a big fan of TIAL products. ;)

I am curious about something though, who is removing their internal WG plumbing before going external or replacing the turbine housing (my choice) ?

Last edited:
im sure a lot of folks have success with running a gate off the turbine housing though I prefer running a nicely angled flowing pipe off the header. dump to atmosphere bc i dont care about the noise but running back into the dp as seen above can be done with a smooth transition as well.

im sure a lot of folks have success with running a gate off the turbine housing though I prefer running a nicely angled flowing pipe off the header. dump to atmosphere bc i dont care about the noise but running back into the dp as seen above can be done with a smooth transition as well.

Sorry if I was not clear but I meant eliminating the internal wg completely via replacing the turbine housing.

Can weld the hole shut, use the rjc plate , or thread plug it j suppose . On mines I got a round steel plug and welded it on housing one time. Worked fine. Other time I ordered an rjc dp flange and remade the little piece of the dp without the hole

Can weld the hole shut, use the rjc plate , or thread plug it j suppose . On mines I got a round steel plug and welded it on housing one time. Worked fine. Other time I ordered an rjc dp flange and remade the little piece of the dp without the hole

The flow restriction was my concern regarding using an external WG that still read's off the internal WG port.