extender features

S

slojim

I have an extender chip from when they first came out. My MAF died, so I bought the translator (not a plus, that came out later) and the chip. I need a new chip, reprogamming the extender is $50. looks like Jim Testa's chips are $100, and would probably be my other choice. Can anyone tell me what features are currently available on the extender, and what JT's might have? This quesion is really more pointed at the add-ons, but if you have experience with both, then please compare the drivability and performance.

Thanks

BTW: stock turbo and i/c, 009's, poston headers, thdp, SM2, that ought to do it for pertinent car info

ed. for bad spelling

Originally posted by slojim
Can anyone tell me what features are currently available on the extender, and what JT's might have?

I really don't meet the criteria for both but I have ran Jim's chips for a couple of years. I imagine he can program about any feature you need but the specific features of my 100 octane chip for MSD 50's are:

-Torque Converter Lockup at 50 MPH. WOT Torque Converter Lockup only if requested, I didn't.

-22 degrees of advance, higher timing around converter stall.

-Highway Economy Mode, additional advance and a lean mixture to improve highway MPG.

-Good BLM grid, no tip-in or tip-out stumble, good idle, good spool-up. Runs hard - recommended.

Hope this helps,

Extender Latest Features

Here are most of the Extender features in the latest version. This chip is nothing less than awesome in my opinion! Never tried Jims so I can't comment. Drivabilty is the best I've ever tried. Great milage. Averaging 27 mpg! BLM's are all at or very near 128. Anti-theft features are the coolest!! You can turn the anti-theft feature on and off (convenience mode) with a special sequence. Convenience mode is great for at the track in the staging lanes and anti-theft is great for parking your car in public. The valet mode prevents WOT. Engine will basically fall on it's face while flashing the check engine light at you over normal driving throttle position. Great for letting other people drive your car that you don't want them beating on it. Also if the car fails to start after the anti-theft sequence you don't have to go through the sequence again to try restarting as long as the key doesn't get turned off. Awesome fueling control with the extended MAF range. With a Caspers heated O2 sensor the WOT O2's are flat as a board! ;)

Extended MAF range
Anti-dropout
Anti-stall
Higher spark advance in low gear
Adjustability of WOT fuel
Loop control
Launch assist
Anti-theft with valet and convenience
Available with stock, w, x, y, z data streams
Shiftlite
Excellent driveability (good BLM spread)
Fast spooling code

More features being worked on everyday!!

Most features are enable-able by the owner by storing trouble codes.

Chad,

Have you used the 'launch assist'? If so, did you like it and would it help with my combo? Thanks.

Sounds like I need to send mine back.......I want those new features! Chad do I just need to call Mike L (who else does these) and send it back to him?

Extender updates need to go to Ramchargers.

http://www.ramchargers.com

I actually haven't tried the launch assist yet but will soon. It's supposed to raise the EGT's to assist in spooling the turbo at the line. Kicks off when the car launches. I see it most helpful when you have a big honking turbo to spool up.

boy, I hate it when there's 2 good choices. I think I'm going to go with the Testa chip, that way I can still drive the car while I wait. Hopefully, I'll manage to get a new turbo sometime soon, and then I may get the extender reprogrammed.
Thanks for all the replies.

Tried "launch assist" at the track tonight. Dropped a 5 psi launch 60ft times average of about 1.5 tenths.

Still getting 27 mpg.

Extender versus smog

Hey Dan, I was wondering if that set up pass the dreaded CALIFORNIA SMOG?? I have been wanting to get the translator plus but heard that it wasn't smog legal.

Thanks again for any responses.

by the way, I just got my stock 87 gn smogged yesterday, just barely passed. The big worry was the high Hydrocarbon Count.
15 mph max is 110 I had 109!!!
25 mph max is 85 I had 78!!!

Any one have any ideas where i should look??? Engine rebuilt about a year and a half ago, but the injectors weren't replaced, just cleaned.

Re: Extender versus smog

Originally posted by NCC1701
Hey Dan, I was wondering if that set up pass the dreaded CALIFORNIA SMOG?? I have been wanting to get the translator plus but heard that it wasn't smog legal.

Thanks again for any responses.

by the way, I just got my stock 87 gn smogged yesterday, just barely passed. The big worry was the high Hydrocarbon Count.
15 mph max is 110 I had 109!!!
25 mph max is 85 I had 78!!!

Any one have any ideas where i should look??? Engine rebuilt about a year and a half ago, but the injectors weren't replaced, just cleaned.

Ugh, well, if your smarter then the inspectors.

Originally posted by Mr URL
Tried "launch assist" at the track tonight. Dropped a 5 psi launch 60ft times average of about 1.5 tenths.
Still getting 27 mpg.

SHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh1
Launch assist doesn't work.
Same for the fast spooling.
Hahahahahahahahhahahahaha

I been doing my own chips for years, and on various cars. The latest extender is better then any I've done. I've never said that before.
bailey has some really clever patches in his chips.

The launch assist and fast spooling something just are incredible.
URL has me on mileage thou, I'm only at 25.6, probably could do better but I just gotta have some fun. That mileage with 55s and a 60 turbo, just leaves me smiling.

smog versus extender

Bruce, I did pass, so I'll be good for two more years. I am thinking of getting the extender and using it all the time until next smog. I will probably have to replace it with stock system for next smog.
I seen where the trans+ was mounted behind the glove box door, but I don't want the chance of paying for a obvious failure.

Any ideas???

Re: smog versus extender

Originally posted by NCC1701
Bruce, I did pass, so I'll be good for two more years. I am thinking of getting the extender and using it all the time until next smog. I will probably have to replace it with stock system for next smog.
I seen where the trans+ was mounted behind the glove box door, but I don't want the chance of paying for a obvious failure.
Any ideas???

If the sensor was matt black, and the wiring for the translator was in cab. Would be hard to see the difference.
A well tuned car really shouldn't have a problem.
the translator in and of it's self isn't going to make your car a gross polluter. Matter of fact I'd almost bet it is a cleaner set up, in so far as the IAT is more accurate.

can anyone tell me what injectors I should use if I do get the trans+ and extender chip. MY car is bone stock from air cleaner to exhaust. Engine had a rebuild a year and a half ago. Didn't have to go oversize on pistons. So everything is within original factory specs. I want to incrase performance for the occasional stoplight race, no track. I run nothing but street gas.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The translator won't hurt your smog efforts what-so-ever, as long as you've got your BLMs any where near close.

Don't try and go through smog with the Extender chip thogh!!!!
It has the EGR turned off.

I just got my extender chip and the lanch assist works ok i guess but when normal driving if i take off with like have throdle the lanch assist kicks in and the car falls on it's face. Is it suposed to be disabled when normal driving. And the car still sluggish fp, at 40psi(static), tps@42.????????