Extended Capacity Oil Pan

Well its to bad that this coating problem has slightly tarnished one of jasons fine products,I have dealt with him for many years and believe him to be one of the most humble and honest vendors on this site...

hey its ok. We like customer feed back. For the most part there are no issues. we have sold lots and lots of pans and had very few issues. This gives us a chance to have the product evolve so we make a better product. all of our customers opinions matter. We strive to put out the best products and our customers help us achieve that.

thanks for the input guys. really appreciated.

...note: we DO NOT recommend sand blasting the inside of the pans. this is very difficult to remove every little grain and unlike a few dissolved paint particles it will cause issues.

Damn it! Too late...I have a lot of time to make sure it's cleaned out well before I actually use it. I had mine blasted with walnut shells and powder coated black on the outside. Looks good, imo anyway.

On another note: what about the pickup issue? I haven't fit mine yet but most say the pickup is 3/4" above the bottom even with the girdle pickup extender on a non girdled motor. My question is, does it really need to be an 1/8" off the bottom? In theory, the pickup should be still in deeper oil than stock with either extender on the pickup as the dipstick stays the same so why the need to have the pickup right off of the bottom like that?

Thank you Jason for the wonderful products btw. I love everything I've used that you've produced.

thanks!
about the pick up, 3/4" will hurt nothing. it does not matter if you have a little extra oil below the pick up. we like them 1/2" and when we designed the pan that is what we shoot for. who said 1/8" off the bottom? that is way to close, you do not want to restrict the pick up in any way.

thanks!
about the pick up, 3/4" will hurt nothing. it does not matter if you have a little extra oil below the pick up. we like them 1/2" and when we designed the pan that is what we shoot for. who said 1/8" off the bottom? that is way to close, you do not want to restrict the pick up in any way.

1/8 to 1/4" is what I read...can't believe everything you read though.

[quote="1/8 to 1/4" is what I read...can't believe everything you read though.[/quote]

unless it's on the internet! :rolleyes:

Jason,

I'm not convinced that it is acceptable to run the pickup that far away from the bottom of the pan. If you assemble and measure the stock pan and a stock pickup, you will see that is is much closer than the .5 to .75 you mentioned. Reher and Morrison (World reknown ProStock engine builders) publish a very detailed book and they list (1/4 to 3/8) as acceptable. I extend new pickups (cut and weld) to get to this dimension. The last thing I want is to uncover the pickup under extreme maneuvers (launch and braking). As you know, we can generated alot of G's on launch and even more on braking and sucking air is tough on the bearings!!

I agree that abrasive blasting the inside of the pan can be a problem, Thats why I remove the windage tray.....to avoid trapping abrasive under the legs of the tray. You have to be real careful cleaning the pan to be sure no abrasive is trapped in the folds of the metal or anywhere else. Certainly not for the weekend mechanic.

Again, I'm NOT bashing your products.....in fact I buy and recommend your products all the time. I have great respect for the work you do and hope you sell lots of products, make tons of money and keep developing new Buick stuff.

Dave

Jason,

I'm not convinced that it is acceptable to run the pickup that far away from the bottom of the pan. If you assemble and measure the stock pan and a stock pickup, you will see that is is much closer than the .5 to .75 you mentioned. Reher and Morrison (World reknown ProStock engine builders) publish a very detailed book and they list (1/4 to 3/8) as acceptable. I extend new pickups (cut and weld) to get to this dimension. The last thing I want is to uncover the pickup under extreme maneuvers (launch and braking). As you know, we can generated alot of G's on launch and even more on braking and sucking air is tough on the bearings!!...

Dave

Regardless of how far away from the bottom it is, isn't it the measure of how far above the pickup the oil is to determine starvation? And by using ANY extender, the pickup is deeper in oil than stock assuming you fill it using the same stock dipstick. My thinking must be flawed somehow and I'd like to know how putting the pickup "in" more and deeper oil can lead to starvation regardless of where the bottom of the pan ends of being relationally.

The location of the pickup in relation to the floor of the sump does matter. Under normal driving, the oil stays mostly in the bottom of the pan. But think about slamming on your brakes!! The oil rushes up to the front of the pan in a wedge shape. The lower edge of the "wedge" is the border line of where you can pickup air......right?The farthest edge of the oil pickup is the first point to draw air.

Raise or lower the pickup point and you can see that it will suck air earlier if you raise the pickup point. Too low could cause a restriction, too high......you got it..... suck air = baaad things happen to bearings!

Oil pump pickup.JPG

If you have an old oil pan lying around, try this experiment: fill it with 3.5 quarts of water and put it on the passenger floorboard in your car or truck. Have a friend drive you around and tell him to drive like he stole it! Watch the water (and try not to spill it). This will tell you alot about what is going on inside the pan. If you want to add baffles to your stock pan, this would be a good way to see what works (and what doesn't). Look at some of the high dollar oil pans. They go NUTS with baffles, trap doors and check balls to keep the oil pump pickup submerged in oil.

I'm no rocket scientist, this is all just stuff I've read in different places that makes good sense to me. Maybe its true......or it might be total BS. Think about it and you decide what works for you.