Explain need for Modded ECM

F

Famlycar

I know of a couple different people running 55's without the modded ECM. What problems arise without the different drivers for the low-impedance injectors? Does it make the injectors irratic at low speed, idle? Thanks for education:D

The ECM can't supply enough current for the low-impedence injectors, so you run the risk of blowing your ecm. I'm not sure what, if anything, happens to the injectors themselves.

Originally posted by Famlycar
I know of a couple different people running 55's without the modded ECM. What problems arise without the different drivers for the low-impedance injectors? Does it make the injectors irratic at low speed, idle? Thanks for education:D

The stock drivers will simply overheat while driving the 55s IF you run them this way for a relatively long period of time. If the driver overheats, that injector(s) will not operate. The drivers will not "reset" after they overheat.

Normally a car that runs 55pph injectors is going to be raced...and that is where the severe operation of the injectors will kill a driver or two. If your lucky, the cylinder will not lean out and melt a piston.;)