Exhaust vortices?

jason mizel

Not sure if this is posted in the right section or not but I was thinking of something that a buddy told me awhile back when I ran a mustang from a 40 roll. He was in a car behind us and said when we took off that he saw dual vortices come out the back of my car like you would see coming off the wings of a jet aircraft. Don't think the boxy shape of the regal could create a wierd turbulence wake behind it at that speed but who knows depending wind speed and direction at that very moment. Could of been a puff of smoke from the exhaust or fine sediment and sand kicked up due to the angle of where the factory location of the exhaust exits. Was wondering if anyone else ever witnessed this sort of thing before with their car? Wish I could make a video clip of it but this was way before the era of gopros and YouTube. I've had the car stored for the last decade since I fried the engine (long story) but getting ready to put her back on the road.

Could be. Wing tip vorticies, also known as wake turbulenceare caused by the high pressure on the bottom of the wing seeking the low pressure on the top of the wing. You'll see they go in opposite directions. They represent a hazard to pilots following and have caused small airplane crashes. It's also wasted energy hence the developement Winglets, the swept up fairings on the end of the wings which recover some of the lost energy. When we put them on our Falcons we increased our range by 9% as well as increasing climb and altitude capabilities by the same amount.

what ever you do........... do NOT exceed 88 mph,
lesson learned on back to the future!