Exhaust system

SCD

1987 GN 65,000 miles completely stock and unmolested. I need a new exhaust system from the cat back. I checked with GM but no longer avalialbe.
What are my options?
Thanks
Steve

1987 GN 65,000 miles completely stock and unmolested. I need a new exhaust system from the cat back. I checked with GM but no longer avalialbe.
What are my options?
Thanks
Steve

hooker from summit or jegs

Yep. Hooker fits great and sounds awesome. Good mellow sound. No drone.

You'll like it. Think I paid $299.00 for mine from summit about 2 years ago. I suppose the price has probably went up since then.

for what an oe-style system would cost (assuming you can even find the parts) you can get the hooker system and will be a lot happier with the performance

Check out the dual SS system Full Throttle sells. Cost more than the Hooker, but much better quality since it is SS. I have had a ATR dual 2.5 SS on my car since 1994. Still looks and sounds the same as when I put it on. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time, I would consider the SS systems. My $02.

I agree with Sweet6...for cost factor over time, a stainless system is the way to go. Mike's system at fullthrottle is 2 3/4" and uses Magnaflow mufflers (straight thru type). Magnaflow mufflers are 409 SS and will discolor over time. Better to get 304 SS mufflers. Mike also sells a 304 SS muffler ~$75 ea. Summit Racing also has a 304 SS muffler from Flowmaster ~$100 ea(I'm not sure on the internal passage, straight thru or chambered) as does Borla (get through Jegs or Summit). You need to find out the required inlet/outlet muffler configuration for the system from Mike at Full Throttle.

Jack Cotton sells as 2 1/2" 304 SS system with offset/offset Magnaflow mufflers.

Instead of using the regular U-clamps on the pipes at the mufflers, I bought a set of 2.5 ID/OD band clamps from Jegs so as to not crush the pipes.

You will see an increase of ~10 HP with either of these systems on a bone stock car.

If you really want an original style exhaust system with the single collector muffler, Gardner Exhaust makes an exact reproduction. They do classic car exhaust reproductions. Check them out at Muscle Car Exhaust Systems

Good Luck with the project.

Exhaust

I'm a minimalist. For 25 bucks just hang a Purple Horny. I've been thinking of going old school early 70's. I was thinking of just hangin one Purple Hornie with a 3" turn down myself. Don't need all that extra weight and 25 bucks is cheap. I take the cat off once the car passes emissions. My 1st car a 57 Belair 283 with Borg Warner T-10 4speed had Purple Hornies hangin off the headers. Purple Hornies sound awesome. Used to love my Purple Hornies;)

From what I understand, I do not believe Gardner is making the OE exhaust any longer for the GN. I hope they start to again soon. Anyone heard any different?

Thanks for all the info on the exhaust. How does the hooker system sound? I am not looking for more performance but I like the quiteness of the factory system. My son's syclone has a 3" Borla system on it and I don't like the sound.
If I want noise I'll take my 66 big block Corvette with sidepipes out and rattle some windows!

Thanks again
Steve

I'm a minimalist. For 25 bucks just hang a Purple Horny. I've been thinking of going old school early 70's. I was thinking of just hangin one Purple Hornie with a 3" turn down myself. Don't need all that extra weight and 25 bucks is cheap. I take the cat off once the car passes emissions. My 1st car a 57 Belair 283 with Borg Warner T-10 4speed had Purple Hornies hangin off the headers. Purple Hornies sound awesome. Used to love my Purple Hornies;)

Purple Hories bring back great memories as a kid. BUT they are NOT the correct style muffler for a turbo car. They have too much back pressure. They are just a glass-pack style muffler in 3" and painted purple. They sound great on a V8 but sound like crap on a V6. Ever driven by farm and hear a John Deere tractor? Well, that's what it'll sound like with a Purple horny on it. Buy a straight through design muffler. They are available cheap in mild steel. ($77) here: JEG'S High Performance - 289-17223

i might be taking my stk exhaust off this year. i thought it was already changed out, i was wrong just an after market muffler but it exits like a monte out the back which i realy don't like.

Thanks for all the info on the exhaust. How does the hooker system sound? I am not looking for more performance but I like the quiteness of the factory system. My son's syclone has a 3" Borla system on it and I don't like the sound.
If I want noise I'll take my 66 big block Corvette with sidepipes out and rattle some windows!

Thanks again
Steve

The hooker is just a little bit louder than stock. It is the quietest one out there.

Jason

I have the Hooker on my TTA. It is quite a bit louder than my GN with the walker Ultra Flows. Not saying the Hooker is loud, but not nearly as quiet as the walker ultra flows.

Walker makes a stock replacement exhaust
0148.gif