Exhaust hanger ?'s

kolb02

Hey guys, I just picked up my turbo regal last September with a bad motor. I got the motor all in and hooked up the single 3 inch exhaust that was on it. here's my question: Is there supposed to be exhaust hangers holding it up anywhere? The only one I have is at the tail pipe. Looks to be putting a lot of weight on the downpipe.

Yeah, I don't have that. I thought it needed something there. Where do I get one? I wonder if I don't have one cause I have a TH400 in it?

Yeah, I don't have that. I thought it needed something there. Where do I get one? I wonder if I don't have one cause I have a TH400 in it?

It may be missing due to the TH400 trans. This piece is typically called the 'cat hanger' as it is bolted the rear cat-con flange.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I got exhaust hangers that clamp to the exhaust with saddle (muffler) clamps. Most exhaust systems use these style clamps but some have band clamps. I actually used a band clamp to clamp my test/cut out to the downpipe but I had enough room on the test/cut out to still put a saddle clamp to hold the hanger.
accessories_saddle_clamps_large.jpg

If you have the saddle clamps these hangers are available at Advanced Auto Parts.
5600421_mrw_tph72b1_pri_larg.jpg

I clamped one on my test/cut out pipe and marked the floor of the car where the hanger would position on a lower rib (the floor of the car is ribbed). I drilled two holes and put two bolts in from the top under the carpet with two large washers. I put the hanger up and pushed the bolts through the holes and put washers and bolts to hold it. Works great. Carpet lays over the bolts smoothly because they are in a 'valley' between the ribs.

Last edited: