Exhaust gasket???

airwolf

I bought an ATR downpipe and test pipe. It did not come the gasket that goes in between the test pipe flange and the flange on the exhaust pipe. It is a 4 bolt flange just like the stock converter. Any idea where to get this gasket?? I've checked my sources and no one has one. Suggestions??????????
Thanks.

I don't use a gasket between the test pipe (or converter) and the cat back. I don't think that I ever saw one there, even when my '87 GN was still stock.

Later,
Buzz White in Houston, TX (sumnerw@flash.net)

gasket

Sumnerw,
Mine did have a gasket, it came off in pieces when I took the bolts out. I bolted it up without one just to check the fit and I could see a small gap so I know it's gonna leak. Might just have to make one if I can find the right material. Thanks for the input. Anybody else running without a gasket???

gasket

Thanks BlackBandit,
Guess maybe I'll have to try it without one first. Can't try it right now cause the motor ain't in yet :rolleyes: It should be in by the end of the week. Thanks guys!

No prob. I hear the 'slowly comming back to life thing'. My GN was a pile of problems and it's been an uphill battle over the last two years to get it running well. It doesn't help that it's my daily driver.

Well, I just checked my 44-W and it doesn't show or list a gasket there for the '86 and '87 GNs. I'd have to guess that someone installed one because of the gap you saw. I'm sorry I don't know of a source for one. Copper would be best since it will stand up longer to being reused over and over and over again. An alternative would be to try to flatten the mating surfaces to eliminate the gap you see. Worst case, you could try some high temp RTV.

Good luck!
Sumner White in Houston, TX (sumnerw@flash.net)

gasket

Thanks again guys, I'm gonna leave it for now! If it leaks when the motor goes in I'll deal with it then. Hey sumnerw, thanks for taking the time to look that up. I really appreciate it! And BlackBandit, you are so right about these cars. But I love her anyway! I'm basically correcting somebody else's screw up with this one. Didn't even have a turbo crank in it:mad: . That's why I'm on here all the time asking questions. Just want it done right this time. Thanks to all the experts on the board. I will be back!;)