exhaust dump before cat?

qwks6

Boost junkie
I was thinking the other night about being a responsible human being and having a good cat on my 3" downpipe and how cool it would be to have a dump before the cat for those times you need the dump. Heck, to counter the restriction of a cat (on street cars of course) a little 2" dump would be more than enough I'm sure. Why not have performance and prevent pollution?

Anyway, anybody ever hear of that? Any thoughts?

Don't think it's what you're talking about, but is a similar concept and how I've always run the exhaust on my cars. Immediately after the DP on my car is a 3" cut-out, and immediately behind that is a cat. Will take pics if you'd like to see the set-up.

jersey dump

i have one on my 86 on a 3" atr stainless external pipe , but no cat right now
right at the bend of the DP facing down (ive seen others turned out)
even cooler with an electric dump
the extra takeoff for the dump would make install/removal a pain ..on mine about 8inches up stream the pipe comes apart with a slip joint

legal ... no

Here's the ATR stainless steel downpipe on which I installed a cutout ...I did it myself because I already had the downpipe and a dump pipe attached to it. I removed the cutout from the dump pipe and installed it on the downpipe. Next I got a straight test pipe (seen in the picture attached to the downpipe) to use with it. This setup is often called a "Jersey Style" downpipe.

Claude :)