exhaust cutouts.

Matt37

I've been thinking about getting an exhaust cutout, mainly because I want my turbo to sound louder.

Do they really make the car sound alot better??

Also, for the people on here that have them anyone got sound clips??

And for the people that have them where did you mount the switch to control if it is open or closed?

Thank You.

To me they sound obnoxious. The turbo sounds great, but around town it sounds like a rusted out crappy exhaust. Good for racing if you have a stock exhaust though.

Jason

Hands down, these cars do not sound good. Face it. The only thing that makes them sound cool is the turbo. If you get a cut-out, it will make the turbo sound alot louder and you will have a better flow. I would not drive around town with it open because it does sound like its broken. haha. If i knew how to do sound clips i would and you'de be sold. Get an electric one. I mounted the switch in the center consol using a sheet metal square that fit snug right in there. Hold on i'll go take a pic.

here ya go

Attachments

• switch panel 002.jpg
    switch panel 002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 277
Thank You,

When you bought it did it come with all the essential wiring and switches and all??

Also, how is installation?

Thank You,

When you bought it did it come with all the essential wiring and switches and all??

Also, how is installation?

It came with everything. All you have to do is run a ground and a hot lead. Thats it. And do some exhaust modifications to get it in there of corse. I had a manual cut out so it was a direct bolt in.

I bought one off of Mark and love it. Had the car dynoed with it open and shut and with it open you gain 10hp. At least I did on the hotair when it still was a hotair. I don't have any pics but I bought an ashtray switch plate from Mark and it fit perfect. Great product from a great vendor.

I've been thinking about getting an exhaust cutout, mainly because I want my turbo to sound louder.

Do they really make the car sound alot better??

Also, for the people on here that have them anyone got sound clips??

And for the people that have them where did you mount the switch to control if it is open or closed?

Thank You.

I have one from Jegs (35$) on my stock down pipe(2.5in). With that size it sounds decent. The in car sound is loud, and can get obnoxious around town, but the turbo is 5x as loud and everyone looks to see what it making the whistling when you are around car people. It will get a lot more attention.

Got Mark's cutout with the ashtray switch plate.
Too loud to run open all the time but you sure can hear the turbo whistle even just cracked open a little.
Only open mine next to the ricers:D

Got Mark's cutout with the ashtray switch plate.
Too loud to run open all the time but you sure can hear the turbo whistle even just cracked open a little.
Only open mine next to the ricers:D

Did you install yours yourself?

Yes,
I bought a 3" THDP that came with the Y pipe, so all I had to do was bolt on the cutout and wire it up. Mark's directions are easy.

Take it to a shop that does custom exhaust, around my way it's a meinike. Just call some shops from the phone book. They like money and don't care how they get it. This is an exhaust product so they are probably thrilled to do something other then rusted tail pipes!

All you need to install is a test pipe with a dump on it with a 3 bolt flange. Don't forget this will only work without the cat converter unless you want to do it "jersey style" which is mounting it on the lower bend of the downpipe.

All you need to install is a test pipe with a dump on it with a 3 bolt flange. Don't forget this will only work without the cat converter unless you want to do it "jersey style" which is mounting it on the lower bend of the downpipe.

Yea, well I am in NJ.

So a CAT is sort of a neccesity.

Can you still run it or is it not going to work?

Well... I had a "modified" stock exhaust meaning that some numbnuts cut off the flange where the cat used to bolt to and welded in a straight pipe... so I got the 35$ 2.5in cutout from jegs and had my exhaust shop weld the cutout to the stock DP and then put in a universal high flow cat behind the cutout. IF you go this way you just have them cut out as much out of the exhaust and downpipe as needed so that the cat and dump will fit. I honestly will probobly never swap exhaust just because I enjoy having a nearly silent car sometimes, and when I want it loud I just take the plate off the dump... if you get the electric cutout from Mark then you wont even have to get under the car.

Does having an open cutout sound the same as if it was an open downpipe (i.e. no exhaust system connected to the end of the downpipe)?

Does having an open cutout sound the same as if it was an open downpipe (i.e. no exhaust system connected to the end of the downpipe)?

No on mine with my 3 inch thdp with no exhaust it was a lot louder than with just the dump open i dont know if it is becuase the exhaust will still go through the pipes or what but i know dp with no exhaust was alot louder for me.