Exhaust/CAT hanger

Paul,

If the rubber insulator is the only part destroyed (like mine was) and the metal hanger parts are good, drill out the rivets and remove the insulator. I then went to NAPA and found the longest rubber insulated exhaust hanger they had in stock. I believe it was for a Dodge diesel P/U. Bent the rubber in half, got some stainless bolts, hi-temp black paint for the metal. Looks factory.

I did the same thing vinsGN did. The stock hanger is no longer available from GM, and the ones that are for sale, like from B Weavy and on ebay, were way too $$$ for me.

Got the old hanger off.
Interesting - should the rubber hanger have tire tread on it?
At least they went first class. It was a steel belted radial. :)
Paul

Well, they did have - but they don't have any now and aren't sure when they'll be getting more.
I worked all afternoon trying to get a piece of strap to work and nothing lines up. Maybe it was too thick.
Will try again tomorrow.
Thanks
Paul

Paul, I did have to drill a couple new holes in the rubber for proper alignment/fitment of the new strap on the tranny side and a single hole in the fold (that I made) of the strap for the CAT side. Use a good sharp drill bit (on a drill press preferably) and the holes should come out neat and clean. Remember to back up the bolt heads with washers and preferably a couple fender washers in the fold (I used stainless). Even with the longest rubber insulator, I could find, I still had to man handle it into place for proper fit, but after a couple of miles the heat softened the rubber and it hangs like the original. All said and done I have like $12 into it.