Excessive valve guide clearance?

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
Does this seem like too much clearance/wear on the guide? Having a rough/hard start when cold issue and lots of oil and carbon build up on the pistons. Build is in signature and only has ~15k miles on the clock. Valve stem seals look good but in the process of replacing them anyway.

EXCESSIVE is not the word and champion does not use blue valve seals if these are rebuilt heads you got a sh--- job

It is hard to give an opinion on a video if that is too much clearance, but it looks normal to me?

Guides that are too tight can, and will cause an issue, but they need to be very loose to pass oil with those seals.

I do not see how excessive oil would pass those seals with that little movement.

Do you have a bore scope to see the oil and carbon build up inside the combustion chamber?

I cannot count the number of turbo Buick heads I have removed and never have seen "excessive" carbon build up not matter how screwed up engine runs.

Maybe you should keep looking for your starting issues elsewhere?

It is hard to give an opinion on a video if that is too much clearance, but it looks normal to me?

Guides that are too tight can, and will cause an issue, but they need to be very loose to pass oil with those seals.

I do not see how excessive oil would pass those seals with that little movement.

Do you have a bore scope to see the oil and carbon build up inside the combustion chamber?

I cannot count the number of turbo Buick heads I have removed and never have seen "excessive" carbon build up not matter how screwed up engine runs.

Maybe you should keep looking for your starting issues elsewhere?

Thanks for the info and clarification. No, I do not have a bore scope to see inside the chamber but if you look at this related post, you'll see why I am convinced it is something internal. I really have eliminated every external/electrical problem I can think of.

@YAKO: Those are Champion ported irons. They were put on my car new. The blue seal you see is the new Comp Cams seal I just put on. The ones that were on there were light green in color.

Yep, I wouldn't be concerned about that amount of clearance in the guide causing oil burning, especially if there are seals in place

A snap gage / pin gage might give you an idea what your clearances are. You might also verify if the guide is "fluted" which is not good. A proper guide finish would be a good idea as well to retain oil on the guide walls.