"Ever heard of a Grand National? Yeah I whooped one of those."

Big Paul

Bob Barker
I'll tell you the story.

Me and my friend took a trip to a "ricer race shop" about 60 or so miles from here in his little CRX.

They have a there speed shop, and have some pretty impressive rice mobiles that the owners drive. The place reminded me of the place from F&F, and the guys acted just like the movie.

One of the owners had a mid 90's hatchback Honda, some engine swap, turbo, and all kinds of junk. I didn't really know what I was looking at and just acted like I knew. And struck up a conversation with the guy.

He told me it runs low 13's high 12's, and talking about all what he's done and showing all of it to me.

He got to telling me about cars he's run and beat. He said, a whole bunch of later Camaros, and Vettes, Mustangs, the usual. Then I ask him what was the fastest car you beat?

He asked me, "Ever heard of a Grand National?"

"Hell yeah I know what they are."

"Yeah I whooped on one of those at the street races awhile back."

He told me the guy had an upgraded turbo, and from there I knew he didn't know what he was talking about. I guess he's been on the computer, or saw one at a show, and know what they can do and made up some b.s.

I was pissed that the guy had put a GN down, but was laughing inside, cause I knew he had to be lying.

I don't know, I guess I was more surprised that he knew what they were. F'n ricers.:mad:

Should have asked him how much money he put into it. That'd shut him up.

It is possible that he was racing a GN with a "mostly stock" setup. Even then the GN would have to be running poorly to lose to the rice.

He probably raced a black regal with a 307 in it and said it looked like a GN, or (I can't believe I'm saying this) a Monte SS!!!! :eek: :eek:

If he can produce a time slip that says high 12's he could have beat quite a few GN's. But I would not believe a thing until I saw that slip

Originally posted by blackbuick87
If he can produce a time slip that says high 12's he could have beat quite a few GN's. But I would not believe a thing until I saw that slip

Yeah, I know whatcha mean. A friend of mine has an Integra, said he could run 13.5's stock.

Took it to the track and clicked off 14.7's and 14.8's all day.

God I have to many friends with rice:(

Originally posted by Big Paul
God I have to many friends with rice:(

You know what they say, Friends don't let friends drive riceburners... so you're not a very good friend! :p

LOL

it's funny how the GN is such a barbarian to everyone...everyone has to compare it's performance to the GN...kinda makes me feel proud of driving mine everywhere...people just fear these cars whether they will admit it or not...

I don't think its impossible for a turbo'd CRX beat a GN..... i've seen many-a-GN with some mods go slow.

Thats why you get your car running good before you streetrace :)

My car would make a decent street racer... 13# of boost easy launch it runs 7.9@85 in the 1/8 (low 12s) :)

Originally posted by Ken87GN
You know what they say, Friends don't let friends drive riceburners... so you're not a very good friend! :p

Hey now!!! I'm a good friend.

Well maybe. The friend of mine with the CRX used to have a '98 Cobra. Wrecked it and bought a CRX. He seems to like his little rice rocket more then the Cobra, so I don't know. Maybe he's the bad friend. ;)

Thats why you get your car running good before you streetrace

I agree with that 100%!!! I never put my UDLOSE 3rd brake light insert in until my car could back it up. Now I don't have any problem holding up the Buick heritage. :D

EVERYBODY looks at that thing and either smiles :D or gets pissed :mad: .

Not all CRXs are slow. A good friend of mine has a 1991 CRX with some sort of a hybrid Vtec swap and it runs 13.4/13.5 all day long. Its a neat little car, sorta like driving a go cart. Granted, mid 13s arent all that blazingly fast but compared to most Hondas he is flying.

Wait 15-16 years, and see where Mr. Turbo Hatchback is. That car won't last 8 years. It will be ragged out. I'm sure he hasn't had it "boostin'" for long. Maybe, just maybe, since he's "down wit" a shop, it will take a half-decade before it blows the welds of the intake manifold (or what ever they said in TF& TF)

Raise your hand if your TR will be alive and kickin (butt) in 10 years!

It's funny how the remember "whooping" the one GN, but don't remember the countless times they went to track and saw nothing but tailights the whole way.

"Those must be track only Drag cars or have a 200 shot of Nawwws", they rationalize to themselves.