Error decoding on OBD-II

madhat

I know its OBD-II, but can you jump terminals like on GNs to get it to flash codes?

No, it's a different ball game. You will need an inexpensive "code reader" at a minimum or get the boys at AutoZoone to scan it for you. DO NOT let them interpret what the codes mean for you. Just because it shows O2 sensor (circuit or rich/lean condition) codes does not mean replacing O2 sensors will fix your problem. Also, disconnecting the battery will not "clear codes", need the scanner for that. OBD II is 1996 and newer. Get the code(s) and let us know, write down the WHOLE code description. HTH.

No, it's a different ball game. You will need an inexpensive "code reader" at a minimum or get the boys at AutoZoone to scan it for you. DO NOT let them interpret what the codes mean for you. Just because it shows O2 sensor (circuit or rich/lean condition) codes does not mean replacing O2 sensors will fix your problem. Also, disconnecting the battery will not "clear codes", need the scanner for that. OBD II is 1996 and newer. Get the code(s) and let us know, write down the WHOLE code description. HTH.

Yup. I had a check engine light on in my Crown Vic. for a while and I decided to buy a code reader/scan tool. It wasn't too expensive about $150.00 and the code that was turning on the light was saying the right cyl. bank was failing emissions. Turned out not to be 1 of the 2 02 sensors but both cat. converters were failing.

The scanner will give you a general idea of what to look at but not specific parts to replace. I suppose if a person wanted to, you could buy a scan tool like the dealers have but it would probably cost a couple grand!!!:eek:

wally world has a good inexpensive one i use everyday, about $97.00. reads and clears codes except abs/airbag codes.