Epoxy

ChrisCairns

I took too much aluminum from a runner in my BGC intake last night. I want to fill it back in with epoxy.

Has anyone worked with filler epoxy, does it adhere well to aluminum, and what's it's brand name?

Thanks, Chris

Get it welded.... play it safe....

Any competent welder can fix it...

I had a production intake with one thin runner that blew through... was no problem to fix...

If you decide to weld it, make sure that the surfaces do not end up warped. Have it bolted to a head, preheat the whole assembly it a bit, let it cool off slowly and evenly, then verify all sealing surfaces.

You would be surprised to see what JB weld is capable off. :eek:

I have used epoxy

for lots of cyl heads, when I went to far, never had any problems.
as long as no stress points are involved, ( bolt holes, sealing surfaces,etc)

my 2cents

cruzn57

I screwed up by taking off tooooo much material from the top of the runner, right where the intake port mates up to the head port. I don't want to remove material from the head to match them since it's very thin to start.

I'm aware that welding is the correct way but I'd like to try to use some epoxy to build it back up. I've even considered using fiberglass resin and cloth.

So Cruzn....what kind did you use and what was your procedure.

Thanks.

dont do it

weld it . I have done what your trying and it will come off and end up in your engine somewere it shouldnt be. You will regret doing that way more than the mistake off taking to much material off. Trust me take a little time to find someone to weld it and you will have the peace of mind that it is fixed right. Have you ever regreted doing something the right way. Good luck.

brand name?

don't remember the brand name, it was industrial stuff, but we used it on lots of heads that were poorly designed, or had an oops, we used it on the flow bench , and saved a couple dollars!!!
lots of old time cyl head porters have used it with great success, check with your local cyl head guy, ask what he uses, I'm sure he can recommend one,
I just saw the note by Foggedv6, moroso makes decent quality stuff,
check to see what temps its good to.
sorry can't be more helpful, its been 20 some yrs ago.

Thank you gentlemen.

And Fogged and Chas I checked Summit's site and they have the the Moroso A & B Epoxy. Here's their description....

A universal filler.
These two-part bonding products mold like putty, yet harden in one hour to a steel-like consistency. They don't shrink and aren't affected by solvents, oils, or gasoline. The maximum temperature they can withstand is 250 degrees F, which makes them perfect for repairing intake manifolds, cylinder head intake ports, heads, and blocks. They can be drilled and tapped when hard, adhere to almost any clean surface, and harden in 60 minutes at 75 degrees F.

I'll order some and see how it works.

Thank you gentlemen.

And Fogged and Chas I checked Summit's site and they have the the Moroso A & B Epoxy. Here's their description....

A universal filler.
These two-part bonding products mold like putty, yet harden in one hour to a steel-like consistency. They don't shrink and aren't affected by solvents, oils, or gasoline. The maximum temperature they can withstand is 250 degrees F, which makes them perfect for repairing intake manifolds, cylinder head intake ports, heads, and blocks. They can be drilled and tapped when hard, adhere to almost any clean surface, and harden in 60 minutes at 75 degrees F.

I'll order some and see how it works.

Get some JB weld. It is rated to 500F and has the similar properties as decribed. Most likely, the Moroso stuff is nothing more that "JB quick" packaged for Moroso. "JB Quick" has lower tensile and lower "Max temp" than the regular JB. As stated before, the KEY is surface prep.

Marinetech (think that is spelled right) my bud has a outboard shop and when blocks come in all ate up from the saltwater and once the heads are pulled from the block the surfaces are all jacked up. He has used the marinetech on the block to build it back up and then had it milled flat and it has worked for years on several boats.
So it is good stuff and the intake runner would be no problem, If the hole is kinda big maybe use some type of reinforcement screen in the repair.