Engine

I am thinking about pulling my engine out of my 87 Buick GN to replace oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, etc.. What would you recommend I do while I have the engine out of the car? It has under 50,000 on the stock engine and I have plans to make this into a 11 second car. I was thinking of the following upgrades to get me there:

larger intercooler
TE-44 Turbo with Garret .63 Exhaust Housing
3″ Down Pipe with a test pipe
3″ Cross Flow Exhaust system
3″ MAF Pipe
100# Valve Springs
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
60# Injectors
K&N Cone Filter
Eric Marshal Turbo Tweak Chip
Alky control Alky Kit

I don't want to get into upgrading the crank and pistons etc since that is a bit out of my comfort zone.

Thanks,
Kevin

Leave the head gaskets alone if they aren't leaking. The factory seal is great on them. You don't need to pull the motor to change valve cover and oil pan gaskets, take your time and the pan will come off. You won't need a front mount and actually might get away with finding a stock IC with the Duttweiler neck.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

As already said, don't take the heads off, but this would be a good time to do the stuff that should've been done at the factory. Replace the rear main seal and to the Earl Brown timing cover mods as well as a new timing set. You could also do a mild clean up of the intake. You can upgrade the valve springs without taking the heads off and there's a post in the how to section if you want to read up on it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is really appreciated. Really new to these engines and not really comfortable with them yet. This forum is awesome to have to get input from guys that have "been there and done that" with these engines!

Kevin

I completely forgot this in my first post...you need a bigger fuel pump and hotwire kit before you do any performance modifications. Your original one is a huge liability right now.

Egr valve will be removed. Is there a write up on removing this? I was thinking what do I do with the sensor and the line? And if I do remove can I disable egr in computer? So it doesn't run rough and the light is on all the time.

I just noticed my fuel tank has been patched, so I am looking to replace. I found one online (see link below) from gbodyparts.com which has options to add on a hot wire kit and Walbro fuel pump. Is it advisable to add on the aftermarket sending unit and tanks straps for $138 more? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_i...=1186&osCsid=1a8770eb046b073bb5918ac5c15e8868

Yes!! If you were to buy the 340 and hot-wire separately your looking at $140.00 plus tax. So might as well knock out 2 birds with one stone

What makes you think the tank was patched? Is it the square patch in the middle of the bottom of the tank? If so,............stop right there. That is a noise baffle/dampner, not a patch. Put a good pump in it and good hot wire kit. If you have wiring skilz you can make it yourself, for a few bucks in material. Most of the vendors offer nice plug and play kits, though.

What makes you think the tank was patched? Is it the square patch in the middle of the bottom of the tank? If so,............stop right there. That is a noise baffle/dampner, not a patch. Put a good pump in it and good hot wire kit. If you have wiring skilz you can make it yourself, for a few bucks in material. Most of the vendors offer nice plug and play kits, though.

Here is a picture of it. How is this installed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 177
That appears to be the baffle. I'd order up a pump and hot wire kit, tank straps and the locking ring, as you'll probably destroy the original one. If your fuel gauge works well now, you probably don't need the hanger/sending unit assembly. Replace the fuel filter while you're under there.