Engine trouble :(

johnnyttype

Alright men! Its been a while since i posted on here but now im gonna need some insight from you guys...

I was on an on ramp today and figured id give the car the ol' boost session... this was a bad idea cause it quickly was followed by a lovely grayish blue plume behind my car! Pulled the car off into a nearby parking lot to see what was wrong. Car was chugging slightly and puked some oil out of both breathers. Nothing real noisey like metal bangin around... but i did happen to notice that i had COMPRESSION coming out of my breathers!!! :eek: :mad: :mad:

Car can still run, not that im going to do that though... NO coolant in the oil, car steady at 167 degrees when it got injured, smokes blue-gray when a lil throttle is given, and when cranked over a fairly noticeable hesitation occurs every revolution...

Im thinkin i either put a hole in a piston or broke a rings??? What do you guys think?

Im pretty sure i will be yanking the engine out pretty soon... Just as i thought life couldnt get much worse... i broke my buick:frown:

thanks
john

Welcome to the blown head gasket club. You have blown the gasket into the oil gallery. This is how I blew mine. All the damage wasn’t done on the ramp, it was just the final straw.

oh yea... i keep forgetting that you can blow them into the lifter valley!!! that would be great news if ur right!

i have experienced this problem before with both possibilites and hope you managed to get a blown headgasket into the lifter valley than a cracked ring or piston

i have experienced this problem before with both possibilites and hope you managed to get a blown headgasket into the lifter valley than a cracked ring or piston

any test that would help determine the problem... or should i just rip the head off this piece and check???

any test that would help determine the problem... or should i just rip the head off this piece and check???
Leak down test will tell the tale.

oh yea... i keep forgetting that you can blow them into the lifter valley!!! that would be great news if ur right!
(Never mind, just saw you have O-ringed heads, in wich case, I would verify the bearings :eek:)
I am sure you have been thinking a LOT about "why it blew". ........... or you will soon be replacing another one.

well... so far i have determined that at the very least, cylinder 4 relocated some headgasket material into the lifter valley! :eek:

gotta pull the headers off next... then the heads... gonna do both while im in there... check to make sure nothing else is busted up(fingers crossed)... and order some parts/gaskets!

Welcome to the blown head gasket club. You have blown the gasket into the oil gallery. This is how I blew mine. All the damage wasn’t done on the ramp, it was just the final straw.

yea... i think this did actually start the day before cause i didnt have a log file or anything but i had an inkling that the car boost spiked pretty bad the day before... it coughed pretty good while some tires were bein shreded, but car ran fine after that so didnt think to much of it!

Just my .02...If it blew the HG into the lifter valley, I'd also drop the oil pan because I'm sure you will find HG material stuck in the oil pickup screen. This was the condition of my oil pickup when I blew #4

Steve

Attachments

• oil pickup.jpg
    oil pickup.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 260
yea, i think the pan is definitely on my list of things to do... just gotta find the time and motivation to do it:p

heres a pic of my junk...
boom.jpg

broken.jpg

pokinout.jpg

yea, i think the pan is definitely on my list of things to do... just gotta find the time and motivation to do it:p

heres a pic of my junk...
broken.jpg

Are you sure those heads are O-ringed as stated in your sig?
My old tired eyes can't tell if they are. :tongue:

o-ringed... wirelocs's.. whatever you want to call them, but yes they are! i can try to get a better picture for you later....