Engine rebuild time need some guidance

dragonational

That Guy
O.K. Guys here is what i am thinking about. I have an 87 Gn with 180,000 miles on it and i am going to rebuild the motor due to having a bum cam. Well i am thinking of going stock with the exception of the cam. I am thinking of going with a 210/210 cam or something mellow. All i am looking for is an 11 sec daily driver. I am thinking of 42.5 injectors for an upgrade. i have 30s right now. The car already has some upgrades and things like a 3' Mease DP, cat delete, no power options, hotwired pump, good built tranny, a line lock, electric fan, you know all the fun stuff. the turbo is stock and i am not sure what to upgrade it to. Any words of wisdom on the Turbo? Does any one have a setup like this that could lend me an ear to throw around some options? The rebuild is going to be about 3,000 from Arnolds Auto Service in Austin Ar. the guy has a beutiful Blue T Type in his shop and does good work with the cars. Thanks Guys. Harry

dragonational said:
O.K. Guys here is what i am thinking about. I have an 87 Gn with 180,000 miles on it and i am going to rebuild the motor due to having a bum cam. Well i am thinking of going stock with the exception of the cam. I am thinking of going with a 210/210 cam or something mellow. All i am looking for is an 11 sec daily driver. I am thinking of 42.5 injectors for an upgrade. i have 30s right now. The car already has some upgrades and things like a 3' Mease DP, cat delete, no power options, hotwired pump, good built tranny, a line lock, electric fan, you know all the fun stuff. the turbo is stock and i am not sure what to upgrade it to. Any words of wisdom on the Turbo? Does any one have a setup like this that could lend me an ear to throw around some options? The rebuild is going to be about 3,000 from Arnolds Auto Service in Austin Ar. the guy has a beutiful Blue T Type in his shop and does good work with the cars. Thanks Guys. Harry[/QUO
I would pony up to #50 or #55 pound injectors that way your set up for an upgrade in the future, give yourself a little play room. alcohol injections would help for solid 11's on the street/ strip car a ta49,te44,or ta60 would be great with not not much stall. GET A SCANMASTER and a chip burnt i paid 75 bucks for mine from eric marshall. and all you'll need is a 206 cam for the street.
and on down the line as you can afford buy heads or have them ported your power is in the heads. :D

yeah i was thinking about the heads and i havent decided if i want to go with Champions or if i just want to hop up the stock ones. I know that there are mixed emotions on that subject so i guess i will just do some digging on the heads. The car was owned by Scott Simpson prior to me so it was well taken care of and it is a very nice car. It just needs to be TLCed and what not. The 50s or 55s sound good and they do allow for some play. How much stall is too much stall? I was thinking about 3000 or so. I have a 2800 stall in it now, its not much but i think that it is just a modified stock converter. I will more then likely go with alky injection as a buffer on the street. The car will see strip time also but it will mainly be a street car. Thanks for the help and i am open to more suggestions.

dragonational said:
yeah i was thinking about the heads and i havent decided if i want to go with Champions or if i just want to hop up the stock ones. I know that there are mixed emotions on that subject so i guess i will just do some digging on the heads. The car was owned by Scott Simpson prior to me so it was well taken care of and it is a very nice car. It just needs to be TLCed and what not. The 50s or 55s sound good and they do allow for some play. How much stall is too much stall? I was thinking about 3000 or so. I have a 2800 stall in it now, its not much but i think that it is just a modified stock converter. I will more then likely go with alky injection as a buffer on the street. The car will see strip time also but it will mainly be a street car. Thanks for the help and i am open to more suggestions.
i have a 3200 stall on a TA49 w/ a .63 housing ,and it is awesome lag is nill and i mean exactly that. as far as to much stall alot of that depends on you, me personaly ,3500 is about the limit. as far as the heads check out kilians porting service. he quoted me $450 for the portwork not including vavles or vavle job.

dragonational said:
I will keep him in mind. Thanks for the help bro i will look into these things.

any time, just remember that there are much more knowledable people than me on this board.

In the head department you could go with arizona gn for 675.00 you have new springs,valves,ported,talk with nick.My buddy went with his hi flo heads and boy do they flow :D I am looking for a low 11 sec ride myself,and am going to him for the 675.00 job.That should get the job done and then summ :eek: hope this helps..my new combo will be a ta63,50lb inj,pts extreme 3000 stall,rjc front mount,with razors alky system,gotta love that progressive system...

sounds like you will have a pretty good setup. I will look into the heads that sounds like a good idea. I am going to do them eventually i just need to have the green first. I know that i can be in the 11s by the years end all i need is time and patience, but im not a very patient person :)